Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008
Caliber 40

Lucky Jack is on a distinguished road
Friday the 13th

Fellow sailors,

We all know that a tendency towards superstitions have been rife amongst seafarers for time immemorial. Some in true belief, some just going along with others, and some in just plain fun. Personally, I fall in the "fun" category and I ask you the following with a smile.

Given that it is a sort of "taboo" to leave port on a Friday, does this only relate to your home port or is this taboo extended to mean any port in whichy you may have stopped along the way to your destination? Furthermore, would the Friday in question being Friday the 13th have any further bearing on this decision?

Lucky Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2008

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
I have to acknowledge that I am slightly superstitious, but that rule is one that I can't always follow. When you get as little time off of work as I do, it is inevitable that we will have to leave on a Friday. here and there. Can't take Thursday and Friday off. That's not to say I'm not aware of it. Took off on Friday for Memorial day weekend and one of my guests brought a head of bananas (that I did not see until under way). Came back in one piece, though (knock wood).
Old 05-29-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I think this superstitious stuff is allot of prop wash (witch by the is way $3.99 a quart on sale) However, I am glad that this thread was started today as I do not post on Fridays as it is bad luck.
Old 05-29-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
The fear for Friday 13th is called triskaidekaphobia, which means simply in early Greek phobia of the 13th, or any other number.

You should not be affraid of the number 13 as if you see it from another prespective, can indeed be a lucky number...

The supersticion has its origin in the fact that on the 13th October 1307, by order of King Filipe IV of France (off course..a yellow liver coward white flag two sandwich eating son of a gay Starbucks barista), the Knights Templar Order was extinct, its leader tortured and the remaining chased down and killed. This was and had the blessing of Pope Clemente V (also French off course...), and this Pope was elected by the help of Filipe IV of France, in exchange of the Pope removing the excomungation the French Royal family was sentenced by the previous Pope...a clear case of make me rich..I'll make you rich...screw the Templars...ahh the funny thing..this Pope actually moved the Vatican from Rome to Avignon in France during his ruling...a really really corrupt bastard....

Any way....The Knights Templar (those that survived) were then welcomed by the King of Portugal, King Don Denis (Dinis), that welcomed them and changed the name to the Knights of the Order of Christ (the pilar of the Portuguese country.

See HERE

If you visit my Country, you will find the Order Of Christ everywhere, from the Flag to the Navy, Air Force, my boat, monuments even milk cartons..

So for us its not a bad thing...

Hope I helped...if you need to sail on the 13th, just say for that day you are Portuguese, and you're covered.

Alex

edit...

by the way...all the great navigators, such as Principe D. Henrique (Henry to you), Vasco da Gama, Colombo, Cabral, Magalhaes (MAgellan to you), etc. were all Knights of the Order of Christ...it's a good thing being a Knight...an Honour, and one of the objectives is to spread the virtues of the Country and its feats...most Knights were also sailors...and are all true believers in the Christ Order...

The ship you see bellow is the Portuguese Navy N. R. P. Sagres, and bears the cross of the Order of Christ, also the symbol of the Portuguese Air Force and the NAtional Symbol of Portugal.

Last edited by Giulietta; 05-29-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Portuguese Navy N. R. P. Sagres, She is beautiful Giu.
Old 05-29-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Worked with one captain that believed that black suitcases on board a ship was bad luck.
He also believed that whistling aboard the ship was also bad luck. And this is how I drove him nuts a time or two... because I would whistle quietly and just loud enough for him to hear. He would look around demanding who was whistling. I would look at him with an innocent face and claim no knowledge of the whistling.
I am a retired boatswain Mate and have used the bos'n pipe a time or two. Without whistling up a storm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 05-29-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2008

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
I am not superstitious, but I probably should be given how little actual sailing I've done and how frequently certain superstitions have been fulfilled:

Left on first overnight trip with family on a Friday evening- ran aground, spent the whole night getting her off.

On my first boat we set out for an underway christening- the bottle failed to break on the first swing- not long after that the wind picked up, the mast came down, the engine failed and we drifted in the rocks.
Old 05-29-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That's worse then my first sail.
Old 05-29-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
There's one coming up.. June 13th.. and we're planning on leaving port after work. Let you know how that works out!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-29-2008

sgkuhner is on a distinguished road
I for one am very superstitious and will NEVER leave port on a Friday for a major passage. When I was working we would always get on Tamure Friday evening and then leave the mooring for Maine just after midnight. Now let me tell you a story of when we were in Bora Bora on our circumnavigation. We were at the dance contest the night of Fete and as the dancers were off for a break, the guy next to me asked if we were going to Suvarov after Bora Bora. I said yes we were. He said, "great lets go together." "Sure that would be fun," I said, "when do you want to leave?" "Lets go day after tomorrow" was his reply. "Fine," I said, "But wait that is Friday!" He looked at me inquisitively and asked, "SO?" "Don't you know it is bad luck to leave on a Friday?" I responded "you're not superstitious are you?" he asked. "I sure am" I said. "Well I'm not and we are ready to go on Friday; so I guess we will just meet you there."

He left on Friday and that night a BIG unannounced front came through and blew 60 kts for three days. On the fourth day, he came powering back through the pass....without his mast! Let me tell you he will never leave port on a Friday again!! here is a picture of him as he anchored back in the lagoon of Bora Bora.