Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008
Sailing Newbie

mrsadm is on a distinguished road
Life at the dock

At the risk of seeming prejudiced against power boaters (which I would never be ), I almost wish our harbor had a "sailboat" section and a "power boat" section. Let me explain why.

Hubby and I like to actually go out on our boat. Yet we are in a slip surrounded by dock party-ers who at least as far as I can tell, see owning a boat as having more of a seaside cottage than a boat. I have to weave through a dock full of deck chairs, kids, dogs, coolers, grandfathers, etc. who are there all day. The boat owner directly across from us seems to have a remodeling program going where the radial saws, tool kits, lumber and tiles are all out on the dock. A number of big power boaters like to display, at the back of their boats, their toy motor boats painted with flames and skulls and the like.

They all seem to be having a good time, so I don't begrudge them that, but it just makes me feel a little awkward and out of place.

Of course, once we get out on the water, I'm happy as a clam at high tide...

Last edited by mrsadm; 05-30-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Hi mrsadm!

The power boating guys are ok.....! but what's up with all the stuff on the dock and having to run an obstacle course just to get on board?!

The owners around me (power and sail alike) are very respectful of dock space. As soon as a cart is empty for instance, it is immediately placed back in the designated area so that the dock is open again for people or other carts...

It's a real tough call as to what to do...I would probably start an informal discussion with the owners/managers and bring the subject up casually to see what the deal is. It doesn't sound normal to me.

Perhaps others will chime in..

All the best,
Craig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Sounds like it's all about neighborly respect as opposed to a power-vs-sail kind of issue? Are they friendly, have you been able to talk to them?
Old 05-30-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I agree that most of the PB's just like to hang out.
Once on a cruise we were the only SB's on the dock.
It got to the point where everytime we went somewhere, we felt like we were crashing their party. All we were trying to do was get to and from our boat. That was when we were on a transient slip so we really felt out of place.

We are lucky, our marina is about equally divided and on our dock, it is 90% sailboats. We all get along great, even the power boaters. In fact, the slip neighbor directly across from us is a great guy who owns a power boat.
He fishes every weekend Saturday and Sunday and is always willing to share his catch with everybody. We have our share of nice fresh King and Coho Salmon.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-30-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
I agree that most of the PB's just like to hang out.
Hey, give em a break. With fuel prices the way they are they can't afford to actually go anywhere.
Old 05-30-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I think a majority of the boats at our marina are PB's and the ones I see or talk to everyday are good people, we do have a party boat or two on every dock, except for ours, (our dock is laid back & quite and prodominatly SB's ) and we have our share of the stick in the a$$ type, but they' come in both sail & powerboater flavors, and they stand out like a sore thumb, (ya know the ones, the different variations of Jimmy Buffet with the stiletto wearing honey that just came from the plastic surgon ) so we give them way.

My only problem with PB'ers are the one that feel the need to come as close as possible when passing, even when the next land mass off either their port or Stb side is F'n Japan...........LOL

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-30-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
i'm neighbors with 3 girls living on a 38 houseboat, across is an senior gentleman living on his 38' searay, next door are my longtime friends on their 55 houseboat with their dinghy (37' Scarab) we all have a good time and get along and respect each others space. we all have a good time as boaters, not power vs sail.

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 05-30-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
When we were bringing our new-to-us boat up from Lake Erie to Lake St. Clair, via the Detroit River, we over-nighted half-way up in a transient slip at a place called "Pier 500." Being new to the boat, etc., our approach to the slip (not helped by the fact the description given over the phone was, to us, vague and their on-line marina map URL hadn't worked) provided much amusement for the power-boaters hanging out on the docks . But they were a good group. Helped us get her properly tied up, told us the "lay of the land," etc.

We were the only sailboat in the marina. Felt kinda weird.

Jim
Old 05-31-2008
Sailing Newbie

mrsadm is on a distinguished road
(ya know the ones, the different variations of Jimmy Buffet with the stiletto wearing honey that just came from the plastic surgon )

Hah hah! Sounds like the couple across from us!

Folks aren't rude and will even help us when docking. It's just kind of a different culture. I like to go out to our boat for sunshine and taking her out, not to watch a big screen TV.

Oh well, they just have a different way of having fun I guess!
mrs. adm
Old 05-31-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
The power boaters on my dock all seem to be great people and I enjoy hanging out with them. Most don't go out but I think that's more a function of the price of fuel than anything.