Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
A lot of the times, a rudder post is not completely accessible from inside with the boat banging and all that..

Just to give you an example, last weekend I diod some work on Sailortjk's rudder quadrant, and tried doing it while at anchor in a waveless area..impossible..I'd get sea sick in 5 minutes..

Instead I had to do it later while in the marina, and was working thru a hole 1 foot wide, on my back..

That could have been the issue...we don't know..

Has nothing to do with the captain, buty with the circunstances...seas, space available, where the crack was etc...

we don't know...simple as that...
I heard you would have never gotten it done without the direction of a particular Guy...

Shame, shame, shame - not mentioning yourself as the apprentice.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
I'm booked to help bring one of these Bendy 44s back from Bermuda! I wonder what the warning signals of this rudder failure might be.
Old 06-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well I would not call this a bash Bendy thread. In the last year that I can remember we have seen rudders come off a Hunter a Jeanneau and a Beneteau during open water sailing an NOT during storm conditions. The common feature is that all were spade rudders. Haven't heard of any rudders falling off full keel vessels or full skeg vessels at sea in recent memory. Perhaps THAT is worth considering more than the particular brand involved in an incident.
Old 06-04-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Billy...of all people here you should know better..

The rudders are actually pretty well designed, (well if you compare to a C&C 121, they are 500% stronger)....

They are the regular tube with a cross beam X stiffening and the tube upper section is way above water line.

You should fear all failures in a Beneteau but a rudder one.

The boat in question was a 40.7, a First series, often the race boats get profiled rudders, and go thru a process of "weight loss"...

We don't know if the rudder was modified or not..I have never ever heard odf a Beneteau losing a rudder...or if I did I don't remember...

Fear other things, instead, such as deck hull joinery, and leaky ports...
Old 06-05-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
I passed the url on this article to the owner/skipper of the boat I'll be crewing back from Bermuda. He has some insight into the possible problems this boat encountered and the solution he implemented when he owned a B 40.7. Thinking his comments might be of interest to those gathered here, I asked his permission to quote from his email to me. It's below:

----

Scott,

As near as I can tell, "Making Waves" is a Beneteau First 40.7 (unless
he also traded in recently). It sounds like he dropped his rudder. On
my previous boat which was a 40.7, I noticed that the rudder bearing
bolts were undersized and were enlarging their holes because they had
insufficient bearing surface. I drilled them out to a larger size and
replaced them and sealed them with 5200. The 40.7 used a vectran rope
steering system instead of a chain drive which needed to be tightened to
an extreme level to keep it from slipping (thus loading up the bearing
with the tension in the vectran line running to the quadrant. I had
many problems with this steering system and it was one of the reasons I
sold the boat. The 44.7 has a very large chain drive system (much
better and more reliable) that doesn't require enormous tension to keep
it from slipping like the vectran (high tech) solution.

So far I haven't had any problems with the 44.7's steering and rudder.
However, one can never be too careful. I'll look at the bearing and see
if the screws need to be sized up (I've been inspecting them from time
to time). I will also contact Beneteau and the other owners to see if
anyone else has noticed a problem or implemented a fix.

Other than that, we carry several devices for sealing the rudder post
hole if we have the unfortunate situation of dropping our rudder. One
is a simple nerf football and the second thing is a wax toilet seal. We
also carry back up steering gear.

Thanks for the article.

------

Note his suggestions for gear to deal with this type of emergency (nerf football ). His comments also exhibit the kind of "attention to detail" that it takes to be safe offshore. Gives me confidence that I'll be sailing with a competent skipper.
Old 06-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be aware that a Sponge Bob Square Pants nerf-type foam football was used to save a fishing boat in the last year or so.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-05-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Enough uninformed speculation, for the Owner/Skipper's report go here.

Beneteau Owners | Google Groups

Old 06-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Vasco-

That link is less than useful, since you not only have to log into google groups, but must be a member to read the archives.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-05-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Interesting though..

My rudder is also a composite material quadrant, commanded from the 2 wheels by Dyneema cables. Like the 40.7 however it has been modified and well engineered to prevent any of this from happening.

The difference is each line is bolted to tyhe quadrant with a biolt to adjust tension, so there is no slippage.

The rudder tube is 6 to 8 inches diameter and has a large teflon/nylon bearing in the bottom and another one of the top.

The rudder shaft, made of alluminuim is replaced every 2 years, (I'm on the second one now, because of a rudder design change), and is a conical solid rod of alluminium made by Lewmar, with marine grade alu.

The rudder floats, so it allways pulls the lower bearing up, that stops agains at internal ring half way thru the tube, and the second upper bearing, is pulled up and stops at the quadrant..the tube itself is accessible from any angle as I have it inside a rear locker, and the upper open part of the tube sits 2 and half feet above water line in a dedicated compartment.

This is a very effective system and is very light...the ruddetr tube is supoported at 90 deg by triangular X beams, welded to the hull.

Mine is all Kevlar.For my rudder to come off you really needed to hi somethnng big and heavy, but no matter what, water would no enter.

My hull is also 100% cored with Dyvinicell, and thus a rip of the tube is veryy unlikely. I will buy a ball like your friend has...

Last edited by Giulietta; 06-05-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I'd cut and paste it but am unsure re this board's policy about doing this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.