Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
Agreed, something is not working properly. It's not just youchoose either, the site hangs before finishing loading.
I don't know what you're using for a browser, but Firefox posts running messages to a status bar at the bottom of the browser. I've noticed two things that slow SN page loads down significantly and regularly: pagead2 dot googlesyndication dot com and www dot youchoose dot net. Of the two of them: The latter is definitely the biggest PITA, by far. I've "null-routed" that one. Google advert syndication tends to slow down page loads about everywhere I've seen it, but its "PITA factor" hasn't quite >< got me to the point I'm ready to do something about it... yet. Other than that: I have noticed SN having server problems on-and-off the last week or two. Sometimes it doesn't last long, other times it does. One day (last week?), the site was down for several hours. I'm not there, so I don't know, but it looks and acts, from the outside looking in, like database problems. (Web forums like these store everything in an SQL RDBMS. MySQL, more often than not.)

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
FWIW guys...I let the admin know about the problem and referenced this thread and got a note back this AM that they are looking into it. Let's hope it gets sorted out!
Old 06-02-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
FWIW guys...I let the admin know about the problem and referenced this thread and got a note back this AM that they are looking into it. Let's hope it gets sorted out!
Cam,
It seems to be working fine now, thanks.
Old 06-02-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Oh man, I tought it was me, I have a Verizon wireless card on the boat, which is only a little better than dial up IMO, and it was so slow I would open up SN, then go get coffee or whatever, come back and it would just then be loading....man it was ugly, but I did get some boatwork done.

I notice some pages still have issues, I get a message at the bottom that says " Page done but with errors "

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 06-02-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Oh man, I tought it was me, I have a Verizon wireless card on the boat, which is only a little better than dial up IMO, and it was so slow I would open up SN, then go get coffee or whatever, come back and it would just then be loading....man it was ugly, but I did get some boatwork done.

I notice some pages still have issues, I get a message at the bottom that says " Page done but with errors "
I get that same message sometimes but have no idea what it means. Maybe I'm gun shy but is it slowing down again?
Old 06-02-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
I contacted the 'contact' button [think it had to do w the store' and the administrator this morning. Glad its fixed. Sailnet is tops but that dial up speed will drive people away!
Old 06-02-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
It's 2:00pm PST and I just got to this, but SN is acting very, very slow for me right now. Everything seems to have a delayed response, not just loading pages and not finishing. I'll come back later (tomorrow? next day?) to see if it's better...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 06-02-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Seems to be working better now this evening. I was expecting some smart @ss 'bye bye xort' answers, not a real solution! Looks like y'all are stuck with me for a little while longer.

While in Fla prepping the boat, I was using my Verizon Treo and seemed to get speeds not much slower than my comcast hi-speed cable.
Old 06-06-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Going Slow Again!

Its doing it again! Sailing slow good...internet slow bad.
Old 06-06-2008

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
It was slow for me yesterday morning and I did what was suggested and added "www.youchoose.net" to my hosts file and it immediately sped right up. I did try and look into what youchoose.net was and it is some kind of survey tool. But their site was down(I looked before I added them to my hosts file). I am assuming they have a lot of problems with their service and whenever they go down they grind any site that uses whatever service they provide to a crawl.