SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailnet is VERY VERY slow (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/43751-sailnet-very-very-slow.html)

xort 06-02-2008 05:49 AM

Sailnet is VERY VERY slow

Pages are taking 20 to 30 seconds to load. Other sites I have visited are not slow so it's not my computer (I think).

Because of this I don't spend as much time here any more. If it continues I will leave out of frustration. Plenty of other sites to waste my time on!

What's up with this?

mikeedmo 06-02-2008 08:47 AM

Reminds me of dial-up days

I've noticed the same over the last day or so, haven't had the patience to spend any time here. Maybe they're upgrading something :cool:

TrueBlue 06-02-2008 08:47 AM

You're not alone Ed - several posts and threads have been made within the past few days, including BF's poll to discard youchoose, with hopes that will fix the problem.

I have a high-speed cable connection at home and office and wait between 30-45 seconds for each page to load. It's not only frustrating to no end, but takes a serious hit from my actual billable office time :rolleyes: .

This is almost as bad as the dial-up IPS we had in the early 90s. Until the sailnet people find a solution to this problem, I simply cannot afford to read and post as much here as before. I also imagine this site will lose a lot of contributors.

Assuming the bottom line with youchoose is advertising revenue, I wonder if the prospective revenue generated by this function, is worth the decrease in members to SailNet.

merlin2375 06-02-2008 08:53 AM

Agreed, something is not working properly. It's not just youchoose either, the site hangs before finishing loading.

SEMIJim 06-02-2008 08:53 AM

Just "null-route" www dot youchoose dot net (damn URL parser is out of control--hopefully you know what to do) and be done with it. You do this by locating your system's "hosts" file and putting an entry in that resolves www dot youchoose dot net to 127.0.0.1.

I don't know what "youchoose" is, but I figure anything that God-awful slow is something I don't want to know about.

Gonna have to look for BF's poll. I'd missed that.

Jim

sailortjk1 06-02-2008 09:04 AM

What is going on? Too much techno stuff for me.
Its never been like this before, admin need to fix it or we won't be able to use it like this. Not me anyway. Just put it back the way it was and we will all be happy.

TrueBlue 06-02-2008 09:04 AM

Just checked out the Store - which doesn't have the youchoose.net poll at the bottom. It only takes a second (or less) for each new page to load.

So, I don't think it's a server problem.

TrueBlue 06-02-2008 09:10 AM

Hmmm . . . all of a sudden, the pages are loading fast again.

What's up?

sailortjk1 06-02-2008 09:12 AM

seems to be back to normal.

eherlihy 06-02-2008 09:14 AM

I noticed that Sailnet seemed to take a response time hit late last week (Thursday or Friday). I figured that they were doing back up.

Today I see the stuff above about you choose (above). I don't know what you choose is, have no intention of checking it out, and never want to hear of it again:mad: .

However, Sailnet response time seems back to normal.:) :)