Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
the simple answer is...
he wanted to close the deal by the end of May, that way he'd collect his commish this month, rather than any time after the first of july.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2008

Northbeach is on a distinguished road
You do not have to put up with poor treatment. There are very few things that have to be done right now (you being pressured to close now-yesterday). When I am being pressured by circumstances, processes, or people to hurry up it is usually to my determent to proceed. All you need to do to make me commit an error is to increase the pressure and complexity of the task and compress the time available and eventually I will make a mistake. It sounds like the broker is not respecting you in the least and attempting to manipulate your desire for boat ownership for his own financial and ego driven needs. You are the customer and you have the money to spend that puts you in charge of the process; not the broker and not the seller. There are far more boats available than buyers. If this broker is unresponsive, discourteous and attempting to pressure you walk away and take your money with you. Let the boatís owner know why you are taking your consumer dollars elsewhere. If you do walk expect his ego to lash out at you; blaming you and accusing you of being dishonest or whatever. The uglier this broker gets towards you walking is a direct correlation to the desperation of this individual.
Old 06-02-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
If the boat is documented, you can find the owner pretty easy.

Start here: Office of Science and Technology

This will get you his name. Then go to yahoo people and look up his name and get his phone number. Call him and tell him you are about to walk away because of an @sshole broker. He'll get it fixed real quick.

I had a lousy experience with a broker too. Screw em all, treat them like the dirt they are.
Old 06-02-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Disagree, xort.

We had a good broker. Didn't hardly know squat about sailboats, but we didn't need her for her sailboat knowledge, anyway. She did for our sailboat-buying what a real estate agent mostly does for a home or property sale: She got buyer and seller together and shepherded us through the process. She was good about returning calls, patient in explaining how things would go, amenable to giving us a bit longer than normal window in which to get the survey done, was timely in getting paperwork to us, etc.

Had a good surveyor, too.

Come to think of it: We had a good seller, too.

So, all-in-all, our first boat buying experience went well.

Sorry to hear you're getting the run-around, midlifesailor. Just know that not all brokers are jerks.

Jim
Old 06-02-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
venting and brokers

Hello,

I understand you are upset and it seems like you have a right to be.

However, at this point is seems like you found a boat you like and the boat is in good shape. You can walk away now because you are mad at the broker. Or you can deal with him for just a little longer, buy the boat, and never see him again. If you walk away, you just have to start the entire process all over again.

It's your choice but I would grit my teeth and finish the deal.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
If you had our broker that helped us find our boat, you'd tell this guy to forget it. The lady broker that helped us was on top of it all the time, always replied to our calls and emails, did the sea trials with us (500 miles away), helped us locate surveyors, did the paper work, worked good with the sellers broker (which was a great guy that helped us after the sell of the boat, with recommending good contractors that got our boat ready, and received and stored equipment that we ordered for the contractors to install). After the experience we had, we could spot a bad broker a mile away!
Old 06-03-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Here in Florida, boats sales are handled in the same manor as automobiles. Find the car, have a professional mechanic have a look-see, finance through your bank or other resource, pay the owner and he signs the title, registration over with a bill of sale. The buyer takes all to the state (tag office where boats are also registered) for document transfer and your done. It's not rocket science.

As with autos, I would prefer to deal with the owner of the boat I was interested in, other than a broker who usually knows nothing of the boat. Who knows more than the owner? Maybe other states require a broker in the purchasing of boats or in some complicated big honkin, big buck purchases, one is needed. But as far as I'm concerned, the brokers I have met are much like used car salesmen, a waste of skin! But that's just me and I'm sure there are more than a few exceptions.

Bob

Last edited by fullkeel7; 06-03-2008 at 01:48 AM. Reason: paragraph adj.
Old 06-03-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Thanks for sharing your bad broker stories.

To address some of the comments, its the sellers broker. No way around him getting his money even if I desired going straight to the seller. They have the listing -- they get their money if I buy the boat.

He has finally made an attempt to contact me, unfortunately I was unavalible at the time so we've only managed to trade voice mails.

The very astute sensed some trepidation on my part, but its more that the boat is a big financial commitment in an uncertain economy than any concerns with the condition of the vessel. Its a good boat, and if I can get it at my price, I want to close the deal.

CP probably has hit the nail squarely on the head. I hadn't thought about the timing of the commission payout, only that it seemed this guy's pushing was likely to "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" as it were.

To make things more infuriating for me, the broker I'm talking to, always has to "work with the listing broker". Both guys work for the same company. Jesh, at the point all I want you to do is present my condtions to the seller and report back what he says. I really could care less what the two broker bozo's have cooked up between themselves.
Old 06-03-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Rant Over

We'll I just got off the phone with the broker. Despite our communcations difficulties and different perspectives on what the broker should be doing, it seems we now own a new boat.

The seller agreed to better than 1/2 of the adjustment I'd asked for, and exactly what I'd be happy with, and the yard agreed to address a couple of small issues, so I'm satisfied with the deal.

While I don't think I'd give this guy a recommendation, I'm also not sure I would steer people away from him, so I won't name names. I don't think he's really a bad broker, he's just a broker. At least he took the initiative to contact me after I got on someones list at a boat show, while some others would never even return a call.
Old 06-03-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on the boat. He is still a bad broker, most would not treat you like that. Next year when you move up to a larger boat find a different broker.