Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Need to rant....

Ok, I have to vent before I smoke like a smudgebarge.

This past Friday, we had a boat we are interested in surveyed. Due to weather and surveyor availablity, it was the day prior to the date set in the contract for acceptance of the yacht. The survey went well but as ususal there were some suprises that required some research to determine their impact on the value/price offered. At the end of the day the broker pressured for decsion on the spot. I said I'd need at least til the end of the next day (Last Saturday which was the original acceptance date). I also indicated I would appreciate another couple of days since the survey could not be scheduled any sooner and I would not have the written report for a day or two (there was a holiday weekend in the window when the yard was not available). Anyway, I got a lot of hemming and hawing from the broker, and the exchange became somewhat heated. I pointed out that he'd said prior to us signing the sales agreement, that dates were all negotiable or I'd have asked for wider windows at that point knowing the holiday weekend would delay things. Anyway, later that day (last Friday), I called the broker looking for clarification on a point and asked for a return call which I'm still waiting for. WTF? Its hurry, hurry, hurry, I need an answer now -- but when I ask for information I get nothing.

Anyway, after thinking things over and researching a few things on Saturday, I decided we'd accept the boat subject to the owner addressing one item and requesting a small price concession towards some of the other issues. I put all that in an e-mail Saturday and as of today, I haven't had so much as a "we got it and are presenting it to the owner". I have no idea where this deal stands, and technically, I have missed the acceptance date since we have nothing signed.

I'd really, really, really like to fire this broker, but we're too far down the path now. Should have done it the first time he rubbed me wrong which was pretty soon after we met. I'm almost at the point where I'd just as soon reject the boat and loose the investment in the survey, as to have him get a commission, even though the boat suits our needs and surveyed well. Just infuriating!

Thanks for listening -- We now return to your regularly scheduled programming already in progress.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Nice rant and I don't blame you. I'd have no interest in working with that broker. I'll bet he's off working on a deal with a higher offer. When I bought my boat it was during the winter with someone's vacation in there so the schedule was always in jeopardy of going to hell. We handled any extension with the broker calling each of us to get a new date agreed to. The fact that your broker is ignoring you is not a good sign and is unacceptable in my mind. I'd walk, there are a lot more boats out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Ok, I have to vent before I smoke like a smudgebarge.

This past Friday, we had a boat we are interested in surveyed. Due to weather and surveyor availablity, it was the day prior to the date set in the contract for acceptance of the yacht. The survey went well but as ususal there were some suprises that required some research to determine their impact on the value/price offered. At the end of the day the broker pressured for decsion on the spot. I said I'd need at least til the end of the next day (Last Saturday which was the original acceptance date). I also indicated I would appreciate another couple of days since the survey could not be scheduled any sooner and I would not have the written report for a day or two (there was a holiday weekend in the window when the yard was not available). Anyway, I got a lot of hemming and hawing from the broker, and the exchange became somewhat heated. I pointed out that he'd said prior to us signing the sales agreement, that dates were all negotiable or I'd have asked for wider windows at that point knowing the holiday weekend would delay things. Anyway, later that day (last Friday), I called the broker looking for clarification on a point and asked for a return call which I'm still waiting for. WTF? Its hurry, hurry, hurry, I need an answer now -- but when I ask for information I get nothing.

Anyway, after thinking things over and researching a few things on Saturday, I decided we'd accept the boat subject to the owner addressing one item and requesting a small price concession towards some of the other issues. I put all that in an e-mail Saturday and as of today, I haven't had so much as a "we got it and are presenting it to the owner". I have no idea where this deal stands, and technically, I have missed the acceptance date since we have nothing signed.

I'd really, really, really like to fire this broker, but we're too far down the path now. Should have done it the first time he rubbed me wrong which was pretty soon after we met. I'm almost at the point where I'd just as soon reject the boat and loose the investment in the survey, as to have him get a commission, even though the boat suits our needs and surveyed well. Just infuriating!

Thanks for listening -- We now return to your regularly scheduled programming already in progress.
Old 06-02-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Midlife,
Man, your story brings back some memories... Back when I was attempting to buy a boat, I could not get half of the brokers to return my call. As I moved through the process I got the feeling that a lot of them are running their business from the kitchen table -- tossing up a website, and driving from home to the marinas to show their boats to prospective buyers. I also got the clear sense that they weren't selling jack squat. I'd be surprised if this guy is working on a better offer and neglecting you in the process. More likely he's just a schmuck who fancies himself a tough negotiator, or he's on a bender. Probably the latter. Or little of both. If you want to find out, leave a message for him saying there's a bottle of Tangaray in it if he answers your call.

Good luck to you captain. Keep your options open, as there's a lot for sale these days.
Old 06-02-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Do you or did you pay that xxx??

If you did..I'm sorry...if you didn't....don't pay him...treat him with same respect he did you..become an xxx too...

Call boat owner..buy the boat without the surveyor...send me his photo..I'll photoshop the xxx out of him...won't help you, but keeps me busy and you happy
Old 06-02-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Maybe you could use the carrot-and-stick approach... tell him that if he does his job, your wife will ---k him. If he doesn't do his job, you will ---k him.
Old 06-02-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
MLS,

Sounds as if your 'gut' is trying to tell you something....my Dad used to tell me "if your gut is talking, you better be listening". This boat would have to be very special to put up with your broker. He maybe pushing because he knows something about the deal or boat that you do not.....or he's just a first class jerk. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2008
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Do you or did you pay that xxx??
The SELLER pays the broker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Call boat owner..buy the boat without the surveyor...send me his photo..I'll photoshop the xxx out of him...won't help you, but keeps me busy and you happy
Write a letter to the boat owner. Explain your side of the story, and tell him that because the broker is preventing this deal from moving forward, you will negotiate and pay HIM directly, not the broker.

- OR -

Tell the broker that if he dosen't call you in the next 8 hours, you'll send Giu his picture to be posted on Sailnet.
Old 06-02-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
I hated the broker that the seller was using on the boat I bought. He didn't seem interested in my little deal at all. But, I ended up with the win in that "relationship". The listing had 2 anchors and a boat hook as part of deal. When he delivered the boat, only one anchor was there, and no boat hook. We were leaving the next morning to sail the boat from New Jersey to Hampton VA. The broker promised to meet us at our first stop, and drop the anchor off. I gave him a window of when we'd be there. He called later in the day, and I gave him a much closer window of time... down to a 30 minute window. He agreed. Then he got there, but didn't want to stay, so he left... without giving me my anchor. I was not late at all, infact, I was there with 10 minutes to spare.

When I got the boat home, I called him, and he said if I wanted the anchor, I'd have to pay shipping. LOL... um, nope. The listing has it as part of the boat, and you agreed to take possession of the anchor, and deliver it to me. I have phone records, witnesses (crew), and GPS records proving the agreed times, and locations. He then tried to tell me it was junk, so I don't want it anyway, to which I said he can throw it away, and send me a check for replacement value, not worth, of the anchor and rode.

Eventually, I called the YBAA. Once I told him I talked to the YBAA, he had to end up shipping the anchor to me. Sucks to have to fedex an anchor... sucks for him. Infact, Fedex refused to accept it the first time because of how poorly they boxed it. So he had to redo everything. I was pissed at him, so when I got the anchor... I sent him 3 photos, one of the box unopened, another of the box all opened, and the last of everything sitting inside a trash dumpster!

Then I dug it all out, and am using it... I just kinda wanted him to be a little madder about the whole thing. If he was just cool with me, then it wouldn't have been an issue, I might have even said don't bother with it.

Anyways... if this is the sellers broker, you will have a hard time going around the broker. I am pretty sure the broker can sue the seller if he sells the boat to you within 6 months, without the broker. I wouldn't worry about your offer, just act like its accepted. If he comes back, and says that the seller isn't in agreement... then let him know your not comfortable with everything because of how he's been, and you are having second thoughts.

The YBAA is a powerful group... and will likely help you out if the broker is being unethical. Would you mind saying which broker it is, so others may know not to use them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullkeel7 View Post
MLS,

Sounds as if your 'gut' is trying to tell you something....my Dad used to tell me "if your gut is talking, you better be listening". This boat would have to be very special to put up with your broker. He maybe pushing because he knows something about the deal or boat that you do not.....or he's just a first class jerk. Good luck.
I would agree...

Your predicament is why i will not use the same listing broker as my agent on boats or houses/property...I want them working for ME!!!

Sorry to hear of all this BS your getting

FWIW...My chosen broker had the listing broker in fumes... that I did not have to see, hear or deal with...Seller excepted my offer though..

Last edited by Stillraining; 06-02-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2008
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
2 years ago when I was looking for my second boat, I dealt with a salesman named Dick and that is exactly what he turned out to be. He worked for a well known broker in Michigan. I walked away from the deal and never regreted it since. I e-mailed him a nasty letter and copied his boss on it. Hopefully he learned something about customer service since then.