Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
Here is a link below to an interview with the captain of a Canadian frigate regarding Somali pirates. H.M.C.S. Calgary received a distress call from a Taiwanese freighter that was being attacked. The Calgary headed towards the attack as did a German ship but the Taiwanese boat managed to outrun the pirates. The two ships sent helicopters to send a message to the pirates who were waiting in the shipping lanes for another target (the pirate boats fled the scene). Too bad they weren't blown out of the water.

The boats were about 60-70 miles offshore. Commander Larkin stated there have been 10 pirate attacks in the past week and a half - one per day on average. I didn't realize it was that bad.

The interview is the last in part 3 at about the 23:30 minute mark.
AS_IT_HAPPENS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2008

ben1987 is on a distinguished road
I heard a story from another marine who was with a MEU a few years ago about pirates off of somalia, I'm not sure if its true, but still entertaining. Supposedly these pirates were within range of a navy ship and one of the pirates freaked out and fired at the ship with some sort of small arms. The navy gunners requested permission to fire back and the captain let them have at it. So, obviously the pirates were blown away. Having spent time on ships I can only imagine what that would be like, considering that the smallest weapons I ever saw were 50 caliber machine guns. That would seem to be a fairly effective approach.
Also interesting to note, the United States first major foreign crises after the revolution were with north african pirates, one of the primary motivations for the creation of the peacetime navy.
Old 06-06-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
can't we just napalm somalia?
Nope, we COULD re-comission the USS Missouri and lob 16" shells, THAT would make somebody take notice.. that and the CWIS....

A boat load of explosives (like the one that took out USS Cole) would just require a bit of paint to the sides of the big Mo!

Nothing like showing up in an Iowa Class Battleship to say "you are dead!"