SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Navies to Tackle Somali Pirates (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/43795-navies-tackle-somali-pirates.html)

Sapperwhite 06-03-2008 04:45 AM

Navies to Tackle Somali Pirates

BBC reports:

"The UN Security Council has unanimously voted to allow countries to send warships into Somalia's territorial waters to tackle pirates."

Full Story Here

Boasun 06-03-2008 10:13 AM

I think that they should send in Q-ships to draw the pirates into close range and blow them away.
Thus saving us an expensive show trials. Where the preps would be let off because they had a terrible childhood or for some other liberal reason.

sailingdog 06-03-2008 12:37 PM

I like your thinking... too bad no military has the guts to do it. :)

nolatom 06-03-2008 01:35 PM

What an excellent idea. Pirates do it because the money outweighs the risk, and also because they are apparently unburdened by any moral hesitation.

So if the risk/reward equation changes, the pirates will go look for someone else to steal from, or move away, or get actual jobs, or whatever....

There's a reason why pirates traditionally are liable to be tried under the law of any nation that captures them (a "stateless crime")--because no nation likes them, and no nation is willing to own up to their being citizens of that nation.

It's a big, big, problem for both merchant shipping and long-distance recreational cruisers.

eMKay 06-03-2008 09:43 PM

Good, go get 'em. I'm a firm supporter of the "bait and shoot" way of hunting vermin :)

blt2ski 06-03-2008 09:55 PM

AH yes, not that I agree with the modern pirate, as I have relatives from the 1700's that were on pirate ships of the day..........For the current one's blow em up!

The ones from the 1700's to 1800's were usually paid for by part of the loot, along with giving some of it to the "king" of the country that hired them.

Marty

xort 06-03-2008 10:34 PM

can't we just napalm somalia?

PalmettoSailor 06-04-2008 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xort (Post 324009)
can't we just napalm somalia?

Your starting to come around to my way of thinking but I propose a "green" solution.

If you selectively nuke the a few countries in that area, you'd create just enough nuclear winter to offset global warming, stop the rapid melting of the worlds glaciers and ice pack and save the Polar Bear. Thereby solving the worlds problems via the application of high explosives!

I think even Greenpeace could get behind the idea.

Rockter 06-04-2008 05:54 AM

Only force will stop them.

Boasun 06-04-2008 11:52 AM

The waters off most coasts in Indian Ocean basin are very shark infested.
So when captured, take their boats away from them and make them walk home. This would be a modern day version of walking the plank.
But you need to know those are backing these idiots and getting them the boats and weapons, take them them several miles offshore and let them walk home also. Sort of survival of the fittest. And in the Indian Ocean, Sharks are at the top of the food chain.