Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Please Follow This Post

THIS IS A MULTI-POST ACROSS THE FORUM.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ THE FOLLOWING THREAD:

All Sailnet Members... Please read...

THANK YOU,

YOUR MODERATORS

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-04-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
One thing that's always impressed me about SailNet is that it's mostly just like what that request asks of the community. From my first post I never felt intimidated, disrespected, looked-down-upon, etc. Can't say as I've seen anybody else treated any differently. Perhaps I've just been missing it.

And here's something I found pleasantly surprising (tho I suppose, on reflection, I shouldn't have): I took some time away from sailing and SailNet (wintertime in Michigan, boat on the hard--other interests took over), after only being a member here a short time. When I returned, some regulars wrote things like "Hey, were've you been?" and "We were wondering what happened to you." One or two even PM'd me, welcoming me back.

I've received plenty of help, here, an education and a good deal of companionship.

A terrific community here, IMNSHO .

Jim
Old 06-04-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
CD...unfortunately it's not as simple and linear as you want it to be...or even pretned it to be..

The example of today was a sad one, and fiiting all in the same bag is, at least in my opinion unfare..once again someone, under the cover of the distance, confortably sitting in front of keyboard, someone no one knows who it is... stirred trouble, was offensive and did not get a "slap in the hand" as it should..instead...an APB was made, and all warned, guilty or not...
that is what i think is unfare..

Again, this place is not mine I am a guest here...just that..a guest...and this is just my opinion...

Just what I think....yes we are all equal...therefore correction is due equally..not biased...
Old 06-04-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
CD/Cam,

As far as I can figure I made the last post before the thread was canned.

Working on the basis that I am correct and that it was my post you found unacceptable then I have to say I am dumbfounded by your actions.

I'd appreciate it if you would confirm that.

Regards

TD

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-04-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I'm afraid I'm going to have to think on that one for a while. It is really setting the bar at a some what childish, elemetary school level... I'm going to sleep on it before commenting any further.
Old 06-05-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
It's still okay to tell the Catalina haters to "just bite me" tho' isn't it ?
Old 06-05-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TDW...the entire thread was moved because it was spinning back into what we had just shut down earlier. Your post was not the issue.

Giu...I entirely disagree with your opinion on this...with respect. Even though there was some provocation...your post on the closed thread which was deleted was WAY over the top and deserved a personal ban from this site MORE than any other post made. At no time did you PM CD or me to ask US to put an end to it. Instead you made a totally profane and over the top post in response. Had I been on duty at the time this all occurred you would have been on a vacation. We are friends but I have responsibilities here and sometimes you go too far and complain too much for no just cause.
Old 06-05-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I suppose it is still ok to tell ALL MacGregor owner that their boats are crap too, or, just bite me is not an offensive reply. The fact is that you really need a fine sieve to figure out which MacGregor's are the motor boat models and which are not (26S and M are not motor boats i think?). I own neither but have sailed on the MG 26S which a friend of mine owns.
My boat is from 1967 and is built very strong and at first the MG scared my a bit but it is fine for what it is and no condesencion is really being asked for by people posting who love their boats as you do yours (however small).
Small, light boats are beautiful in their own ways that some of us lose sight of. I applaud CD's guidelines and hope that civility can prevail in all of our exchanges but I think that I know a little more about the human psyche and condition to know that quiet disagreement will prevail.
What is being asked of you is to refrain from most, if not all, negative comments about others behavior, spelling, grammar and boat type and to ignore or report those that seem to be crossing 'a line of decency' instead of a parallel or latitude.
I miss the contrite and forthright comments of the late Robert Gainer as he (to me at least) epitomized the gentleman sailor with plenty of experience under his belt without being pedantic or brow beating, even if he could have. CD's advise is well intentioned and I, for one, intend to follow it.
Sailnet is a great place in part because it is not sailinganarchy.com. Have you ever checked that website out? If you really want to flame people that is the place to do it. They don't seem to care who gets flamed and that is what you are due if you are in a flaming mood. I think that civility trumps being an A-hole any day of the week.
I have perhaps been lucky not to have to 'ignore' anyones posts on this forum so far.
It is important to remember that you cannot tell a persons political or religious views or their boat preference from their posts. There is no benefit to be gained by attacking anyone on this forum. Please bite your tongue when you want to shout out loud (the exception to this might be the 'Off Topic' threads).
Blow me.
Fair winds and following seas.

Everybody has one:

Old 06-05-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Things did get over the top, in the thread but it was civil up to the constant insulting remarks by the new member. I have been forced on vacation for far less insidious manner and kinda surprised that member in question was not actually reprimanded in a way that most of us have been handled when new.
I didn't see the last of the posts of the humor version, but on the original thread - some of the regular members did reach out and try to politely deal with the issue.

As previously stated, member just comes for answers and that is all that is expected else if not what wanted to hear then so be it the writing of insults. I am sorry, but I will not change the manner I post to humor someone, as usually I try to post relevant information - and on occasion if not over the top a required AFOC comment here or there. But for the 90% part everyone that replied to the question asked tried to do so in typical fashions of the poster that replied. And most of the unwarranted comments were derived and direct response to typical SA style comments from the OP and the OP should of been temporarily locked out considering his behavior even after CD's comments to the thread.

But its good to be reminded why we are are online here as I appreciate it, the camaraderie (no not necessarily you Cam, the was in lower case - relax), and the amount of knowledge I get to glean from here.

That is all from my perspective.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 06-05-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
[quote=CalebD;324627]I suppose it is still ok to tell ALL MacGregor owner that their boats are crap too, or, just bite me is not an offensive reply. The fact is that you really need a fine sieve to figure out which MacGregor's are the motor boat models and which are not (26S and M are not motor boats i think?). I own neither but have sailed on the MG 26S which a friend of mine owns.
My boat is from 1967 and is built very strong and at first the MG scared my a bit but it is fine for what it is and no condesencion is really being asked for by people posting who love their boats as you do yours (however small).
Small, light boats are beautiful in their own ways that some of us lose sight of."

I have a MAC and I was going to defend it but then I thought better of it.

Try to explain it to someone that cannot tell four models apart?

Waste my time explaining to a man that has a ***** for an avatar!

Nope! Not gonna do it.

American Sailboat Hall of Fame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My boat is listed here, is yours?

Rick

Just poking fun--no ofense meant.
Closed Thread