Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008

sbkittrell is on a distinguished road
Dealing with the Army Corps of Engineers

I live on a canal and the mouth has shoaled to about 18 inches at low water. I keep my boat in a nearby marina, but I'd really love to have it in moored in my back yard. I have been told by a friend who is employed by the Army Corps of Engineers not to even attempt to get a permit to dredge the mouth of the canal, because I'll never get it. Does anyone out there have any experience or tips in getting dredging permits? Any input will be appreciated.

TUCO Oday 25
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I understand that it is difficult under any circumstances but that if prior dredging was done to make the canal navigable, then restorative dredging permits are easier to get. If you want to make a new channel or dredge to a deeper depth then you may find more roadblocks in the way. What will be done with the dredged material and any other environmental impact will need to be accounted for acceptably. I am in NC too so I am just reporting what I've seen around here. I don't have any technical info about how to start the process but there seems to be a lot of good info and contacts on the Wilmington Divisions home page here:
Regulatory Division - US Army Corps of Engineers Wilmington District
Old 06-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey, I could make it out at low tide... I get the funny feeling your friend is right, but it never hurts to ask. If the canal is old enough, it may have some other requirements, other than a permit. For instance, the Acushnet River, where I keep my boat, is considered an EPA superfund site, and no dredging is allowed unless you have all the permits and a place to dispose of the toxic waste sludge that the river bottom consists of. It is why my marina has some slips that have less than two feet of water in them at low tide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-06-2008
On Blocks

Bermuda30 is on a distinguished road
Where are you located in NC? We are working on getting the canals in my dad's neighbor hood dredged, but not having much luck so far. We just have the biggest boat run the entrance once a month.
Old 06-06-2008

sbkittrell is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input ya'll. Camraderie I'll check out that website, thanks. Sailingdog, my neighbor has a Gemimi (sp?) cat and he gets in and out OK, although he does cut it mighty close at times. We don't have any tidal range to speak of, but the river runs North to South and when the winds are out of the west, the water can get really low. Bermuda 30, I live on the Pungo River in N.C. about five miles South of Belhaven. I hate to get rid of the Oday cause it's cheap and paid for and the slip rent where I'm at is only 85.00 a month including power. Still I'd love to have the boat in the yard. Some of my neighbors want to have the mouth dredged too, so they can get their monohulls in. Maybe I'll go the multihull or sharpie route. Anyway thanks for the interest, help and input. I appreciate it.

TUCO Oday 25
Old 06-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-07-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
The wacko environmentalist kooks have a death grip on this country right now, you may, in the end, find it would be cheaper to buy the marina and live there. In south florida you now have to have a special container for cleaning out concrete trucks.................I'm sure you've seen the dead corps lying near small piles off concrete when the unwary passer by inadvertently came into contact with the concrete. And God forbid you pump any water discharge or even excess drainage from a heavy rain into a canal (originally designed for just this purpose) they'll tote off to jail and you may never see the light of day again. Mainly because they don't speak any English..................

I hope there is more sanity to the north.......................
Old 06-07-2008
Telstar 28

Not that I can see... and until you hit the Canadian border, we're pretty much as north as you get...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshi View Post
The wacko environmentalist kooks have a death grip on this country right now, you may, in the end, find it would be cheaper to buy the marina and live there. In south florida you now have to have a special container for cleaning out concrete trucks.................I'm sure you've seen the dead corps lying near small piles off concrete when the unwary passer by inadvertently came into contact with the concrete. And God forbid you pump any water discharge or even excess drainage from a heavy rain into a canal (originally designed for just this purpose) they'll tote off to jail and you may never see the light of day again. Mainly because they don't speak any English..................

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-07-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshi View Post
It's the same federal government, so what do you think?

One would think that dredging a canal (definition, in this context: "long and narrow strip of water made for boats," "an artificial channel filled with water and designed for navigation," "manmade waterway used by watercraft," etc.) to maintain its utility as a navigable waterway would be a normal thing to do. But common sense, even rationality, is not Washington, D.C.'s strong suit.

But even if our illustrious federal government were to make it easy to do this (by simply getting the hell out of the way, perhaps?), still: Dredging is an expensive proposition. Our sail club had a bunch of slips dredged over the winter and, while I don't know as I'm at liberty to reveal what it cost us, I'll just say the bill was astonishing, to me.

Jim
Old 06-07-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
I've worked on several diving jobs both for the Corps and for contractors that have had to permit through the Corps. It seems from my point of view that it would be beneficial to you to find someone who either is still working for the COE or retired from it that can walk you through the mounds of paperwork required for any work in their jurisdiction. And by no means let them know what kind of funds you have available. The permit fees seem to reflect the affluency of the entity that is applying for the permits.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.