Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
First time out in new to me boat.

I'm no writer, so bare with me

On Thursday the 29th, my friend, his dad and myself prepared to drop the mast on my Merit 25. We used the traveler car as an anchor point and the boom as a gyn pole. All was well until we almost got it to the horizontal position when POP! The car let go, lucky for me, my friend and I work out a lot (12oz curls mostly lol) and we were able to hang onto the mast to keep if from doing any damage. So I made the 1.5 hour trip to Annapolis to find a new traveler car, which no one had the older style, so drove back 1.5 hours and finished the electrical. We towed the boat back to my friends house where I was staying for the night.

Saturday morning there were winds from 15-20 gusting to 25 kts. We stepped the mast into the wind, rigged it and backed it on down the ramp. Good news, it floats! Which is saying a lot considering I got the trailer, motor, and boat for $1200.

Everyone piled onboard (5 total) and we motored out a short distance and then raised the main and turned down for beam reach. 6 kts through the water, this boat gets to hull speed fast. Over land was higher. We tooled around with the main a bit and decided to reef it and put up a 110% jib. Through the water we peaked at 7.7 kts and my friends GPS was reading faster over land. Ok, so I’m impressed with this 25’ boat, takes very little effort to get it surfing.

Sunday, just my friend and I went out in what started to be decent wind, however after we started back to the dock the wind decided to take a nap. I figured it was a good time to try and fly the kit. Well, the first time I rigged it wrong, the second time I forgot the pole downhaul, and the 3rd time she went up she set and stayed up. Even in next to know wind, 3.5-4.5 kts under the spin. We needed to sail a bit closer to get back to the dock so down came the kite and up went the 150%. Made around 5 kts heading back. You couldn’t slap the smile off my face with a baseball bat.

Thanks for all the help and advice I got here. If you’re down by the St Mary’s river give me a yell.

Trevor
Merit 25 # 764 “Audrey”
Old 06-06-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Glad you finally got it out and about ZZ. Have a great racing season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The Merit 245 is a nice performing boat and would seem a good buy at that kind of money. Once you are comfortable with handling her, buy yourself a new hitech 150% and try out the local PHRF fleet.
Old 06-06-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
$1200 for an '84 Merit 25? Damn. I thought I got a good deal sounds like a fun boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 06-06-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Cool.

Thanks for the update.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 06-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
The Merit 245 is a nice performing boat and would seem a good buy at that kind of money. Once you are comfortable with handling her, buy yourself a new hitech 150% and try out the local PHRF fleet.
The 150 I have now isn't Dacron, but I don't know what its made out of. Someone told me it might be mylar. Its mostly with what looks like to me to be a clear laminate over the "weave". Only real problem is finding places to race down there. But currently, I have no slip fees, so that's hard to beat.

[quote]$1200 for an '84 Merit 25? Damn. I thought I got a good deal sounds like a fun boat[/qoute]
Oh she needed some work when I bought her, and still does, but I'm holding out until the winter to do the rest.
Old 06-06-2008

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.