SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where do you get your weather

4K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  eryka 
#1 ·
what's the best place online to get your weather forecast.

#8 ·
I mainly use NOAA and ADDS which is the aviation section of the NOAA site. One product I learned of here at sailnet is the "Hourly Weather Graph" which is great for sailors (and pilots) because it shows an hourly forecast of when and how the winds are expected to clock throughout the day among other weather conditions. With knowledge of that, you can compare to the actual conditions to determine if the weather is changing faster, slower or exactly as predictedwhich can be handy.

Another cool product is the "Forecast Discussion" which is essentially the forecasters thoughts on the forecast he's published. It gives great insight to how they were thinking, how the output of the different weather forecast models differ and their confidence in the forecast. They often also reveal the sense of humor of the real life person that has to create the forecast products we use.

#9 ·
Weather Underground, Sailflow, NOAA, Intellicast are the four sources I generally use.

#14 ·
I look outside.......since the forecasters don't know much......it seems....All of my experience offshore told me to depend on the captain....since I've never been one......I didn't care either way......I was just along for the ride.....

I also like the old .......If the rope is wet, it's raining....if it's swinging, it's windy..... etc. etc......

#15 ·
the same as Buckeye, I look out the wheelhouse window and note the cloud formations, whether the barometer is steady, falling or rising. Check the wind and its direction and the sea state. All of this will give you the weather for the next few hours.
And if there are indicators of change I will check either the VHF WX or the SSB WX.
But looking out the window works for me...Mainly because no matter what the weather, if it isn't beyond the safety margin of working offshore, we go out and do our jobs. This is for the work boats of the oilfields.

#17 ·
I used to ride those boats Boasun....out to the oilfields (worked out of New Orleans/Grande Isle/places in Plaquemines Parish that I NEVER want to see again)......WHEW!!!!! what a ride!!! They took off in weather I wouldn't....and I'm a pretty ballsy kind of guy......Hats off to ya......(assuming you're one of those captains?)

#20 · (Edited)
Yeah I was one of those Captains. Had fun and enjoyed the ride. But you should had seen the sweat break out on some of my crew's foreheads. They trusted me and carry out their jobs in safety. Always brought them home in one piece.
Now I teach people who want licenses for the Gulf.:D
Oh! I've seen worst while fishing in the Bering Sea. :eek:

#23 ·
In advance, NOAA and ADDS... On the way to the marina; weather channel on my handheld vhf... Before leaving the marina; friends who are already out there by hailing on the vhf...

#24 ·
#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.