SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   "Dry Drowning" (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/43919-dry-drowning.html)

sailaway21 06-06-2008 04:48 PM

"Dry Drowning"

To be honest, I've never heard of such a thing but it sure sounds ominous. I'm not really sure how the young lad could get that significant amount of water in his lungs but I'm glad I now know it can happen and what the signs are. The story below.

Boy Dies Of Dry Drowning After Leaving Pool And Walking Home

merlin2375 06-06-2008 04:57 PM

I saw this story, terribly sad for the family. I also wasn't really aware of it at all.

sailingdog 06-06-2008 05:32 PM

Unfortunately, I've seen this before. IIRC, it happens in about 5% of the cases of drowning.

snider 06-06-2008 06:01 PM

Surfactant

The water washes the surfactant out of your lungs and then your lungs fill from the inside due to your inflamation response. Salt water is worse because the osmolality of salt water is higher. What a terrible story. It's been all over the news here. It could have happened to anyone.

buckeyesailor 06-06-2008 06:59 PM

Never heard of it........but thanks for the info.......sad story still........

werebeagle 06-07-2008 12:49 AM

I've seen that all over the news, but the first I heard of it was a newspaper clipping in a gas station in Louisiana. The clipping was from the 50's, and the headline was "Waterproof Negro drowns in Dry Prong"

CalebD 06-07-2008 01:57 AM

Oh Gawd. Terrible news.
And I always loved the way salt water felt on my skin after coming out of it. Granted, I have not inhaled enough to do me in yet.
I can wait for the government/CDC's response to this calamity though. Next thing you know survival suits will be required for kids to go swimming anywhere.
I used to ride a bike without a helmet when I was a kid, and walk/ride to school. I feel bad for youngsters these days who are not allowed to do anything for themselves anymore and I can wait a long time for the legislation to come out requiring survival suits for kids swimming in pools. Skinny-dipping is next on the agenda for outlawed behavior.
It is a sad story and I am afraid where it will lead. We all took our chances (most long enough ago that our activities were not illegal, or that illegal) and are still here and able to type at least. I am just a bit scared about where our republic/oligarchy is headed. Sways signature rings true in this case IMHO.

Liberalism: the haunting fear that, somewhere, somehow, someone can help themselves.

JohnRPollard 06-07-2008 07:05 AM

Thanks Sailaway. I was completely unaware of this variation on the traditional understanding of drowning.

fullkeel7 06-07-2008 09:21 AM

This tragic event is one that most coastal residents here in Florida are thankfully aware of. We have more than a few near drownings because of the severe undertow in the surf. Most of the popular beaches have lifeguards and they are trained to know the differences between someone just swallowing water and one that has ingested water into the lungs. The ingestion cases are always referred to the hospital.

I'm so glad the media has covered this story as much as it has, we all need to be aware of the dangers of water ingestion. Condolences to the family.

knothead 06-07-2008 09:36 AM

A very sad story. I feel so sorry for the mother.

I have always be under the impression that if one had water in their lungs, they would be coughing themselves silly until it was gone.
Learn something everyday.:(

Steve