Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
They sure are quick to adopt their 'brands' and marketing ploys, aren't they? Have you seen the turnout at the NYC Halloween Parade? They know how to make costumes and throw a party!

"So raise your glass, and watch your a**"

Oh, and "their navy" (the NYC Ferries) have been know to jump the curb within recent memory while docking at Staten Island. Skipper was off his meds apparently. Only a few dead and a bunch more seriously injured.

NY Harbor is a dangerous place whether you are on a ferry or are a fairy!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
All I was saying is that a local yacht club is planning a block party where they promise that everyone will have fun.

I guess the redefining of the word Gay has led to some confusion.

Steve
Old 06-07-2008
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
All I was saying is that a local yacht club is planning a block party where they promise that everyone will have fun.

I guess the redefining of the word Gay has led to some confusion.

Steve
Will they redefine "fun"?

OOOHHHHH, they are planning a fun get together, I get it now.............never mind.

Last edited by therapy23; 06-07-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
Will they redefine "fun"?

OOOHHHHH, they are planning a fun get together, I get it now.............never mind.
Gay ole time was the quintessence term in the 1920's for happening party. So, they are not redefining it - merely adopting the original context for the usage of the term - which never really was parlayed into the context it is now associated with until the 1960's...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 06-08-2008

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
A) They know how to cater a fun party.

B) Hot sailing lesbians of the reneisance.

C) It is just like attending a club get together in the hopes of organising bigger and better races and cruising events at a later date. (Except you know those events will be improved because of ongoing factors A and B)

For what it is worth, the spinnakers of the really organised gay sailing clubs are not rainbow coloured, they are whatever colour you want, but have a small dayglo pink triangle right in the middle of them.

In melbourne thegay and lesbian sailing club seems to be a web community rather than an actual clubhouse. I occassionaly crewed on one of their boats when they needed the numbers, simply because I was asked once. I got propositioned once (by way of celebratory practices for winning a race) and when I said "Thanks for the flattering offer, but I'm straight, I just came along to help you guys kick ass in the race" I got a very gracious acceptance and a handshake.

I would crew for them again in a heartbeat if I had time...amazingly non-shouty boat where everyone makes the time to make sure stuff happens smoothly without the screaming from the brains trust at the back.
It taught me a lot after crewing for the alternative style of crew direction for a while.

Sasha

P.S Admittedly needing to sign in for the race form as crewing on Gay Dolphin was about the worst bit of the process. Yes, he really did name it that. It is a classical boat name from Melville, but I think he knew what he was about...
Old 06-08-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Why wouldn't everyone assume that I meaning I meant to convey was the primary, or #1 meaning?

Steve

Main Entry:
1gay
Pronunciation:
\ˈgā\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French gai, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German gāhi quick, sudden
Date:
14th century
1 a: happily excited : merry gay mood> b: keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits gay spring song>
2 a: bright, lively <gay sunny meadows> b: brilliant in color
3: given to social pleasures; also : licentious
4 a: homosexual <gay men> b: of, relating to, or used by homosexuals gay rights movement> gay bar>
Old 06-08-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
When was the last time you read anything on sailnet written in foppish dandy speak?
Old 06-08-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
When was the last time you read anything on sailnet written in foppish dandy speak?
You'd have to figure the use of the word to mean homosexual came from #3, as in licentious.

Goes back further than most people think. There are references to gay as homosexual by Noel Coward in the 1920s when he wrote this referring to Oscar Wilde.....
Pretty boys, witty boys,
You may sneer
At our disintegration.
Haughty boys, naughty boys,
Dear, dear, dear!
Swooning with affectation...
And as we are the reason
For the "Nineties" being gay,
We all wear a green carnation.

Foppish, Dandyish and gay to boot.

This is now the second gay thread on SailNet. Better be careful chaps, you're starting to show a bit too much interest in the subject.

The other thread is pretty upset, it thought it was the only gay in the village.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 06-08-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_V View Post
In melbourne thegay and lesbian sailing club seems to be a web community rather than an actual clubhouse. I occassionaly crewed on one of their boats when they needed the numbers, simply because I was asked once. I got propositioned once (by way of celebratory practices for winning a race) and when I said "Thanks for the flattering offer, but I'm straight, I just came along to help you guys kick ass in the race" I got a very gracious acceptance and a handshake.
I was invited to an outing once by a girl who was rather non discriminatory and thought I needed to broaden my horizons. Dumped me right when we got there with a "I am not your date, but I will give you a ride home later" speech. This was because I had dared to ask her to stop seeing other people of either sex (but she was convinced it was the women that bothered me). I spent the first few hours worrying about what to do when someone hit on me and the last couple wondering why no one ever did...
Wonder what ever happened to her...
Old 06-08-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Oh! For the days when men were men, and sheep were afraid.