Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Matagorda coast

Now this is really interresting. Last week I was talking to a guy at the Corpus Christi marina who had recently purchased a new to him sailboat. He bought it to replace the one he lost "off the beach at Matagorda Island." He "hit something that punched a large hole in the hull and sank before he could beach the boat." Further, I've read about "pipe(s) sticking out of the water" with no light or markings on it.
By Saturday, the winds had moderated considerably, certainly they were not strong enough to capsize this kind of boat.
Time for some of our vaunted law enforcement agencies to investigate sins committed in navigable waters by those economic interests that will do anything to make a buck. But, alas that will not help these people.
It seems the USCG is about the only on the ball government agency out there workibng for us.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2008

Insails is on a distinguished road
Agree CC, after all the recent Hurricanes like,Ivan and Katrina there are many things in the gulf that should not be there..Add that to the sins of economic interest and the coastal waters along the Gulf Coast are hazardous..Many obtructions such as pylons broke off beneath the surface are still not known or own the charts ...
Old 06-08-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Now this is really interresting. Last week I was talking to a guy at the Corpus Christi marina who had recently purchased a new to him sailboat. He bought it to replace the one he lost "off the beach at Matagorda Island." He "hit something that punched a large hole in the hull and sank before he could beach the boat." Further, I've read about "pipe(s) sticking out of the water" with no light or markings on it.
By Saturday, the winds had moderated considerably, certainly they were not strong enough to capsize this kind of boat.
Time for some of our vaunted law enforcement agencies to investigate sins committed in navigable waters by those economic interests that will do anything to make a buck. But, alas that will not help these people.
It seems the USCG is about the only on the ball government agency out there workibng for us.

That statement is right on the mark CC!

That part of the Gulf is very thick with Oil and Gas rigs, some of them very small and a few are not lit. It was like that even before the recent hurricanes. The lighted ones are great to steer by at night but we like to keep our distance. It will be interesting to hear what the crew says.

. . . . . . . Prayers out for Mr. Stone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 06-08-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I just saw on Fox news that the CC has found and rescued 5 of the sailors from the boat. They had been in the water for 26 hours. The safety officer on the boat is still missing. Let us all pray that he is found.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2008

Chaunclm is on a distinguished road
"A dive boat is on the way to search Cynthia Woods. Hopefully they won't find anyone. A&M is trying to keep it quiet, but divers will be in the water about 4 or 5.
The iBoat transmitter was found at about noon.
The boat capsized when the keel fell off. It appears they didn't hit anything, the keel just fell off.

KHOU is probably the best media source:
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/ ... 411d3.html . You might have to sign up to view it."

The above is a quote from the son of the missing sailer and copied from:

www.iBoattrack.com • View topic - Cynthia Woods
Old 06-08-2008

Insails is on a distinguished road
I have been following that thread..Makes you wonder why the keel bolts failed..
Old 06-08-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insails View Post
Probably by hitting something.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 06-08-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
For now, let's resist over-speculating on the cause of an apparent keel detachment, and focus our hopes and prayers on Roger Stone, in hopes he got free of the boat and is afloat. We'll know soon enough.

We'll have enough time to get to the other questions later.
Old 06-08-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Damn, that sucks...

With the water temp at 83˚, hypothermia is a minor risk...so hopefully, the last aggie will turn up in the search.

This is one advantage of having a multihull. No keel to fall off and cause the boat to behave very badly.
Praise God they are all right and I hope so is the still lone missing sailor...

I cant argue with that SD...but at lest the boat didnt sink this time and that is usually their strongest argument for multies when turtled...kind of makes you wonder if they were afraid it would though and so didnt want to secure themselves to the hull...still... I would just for the visual help with being found...Id just be ready with my knife to cut free if need be..
You do all sail with a knife on person don't you? if not this is a wake up call.

Last edited by Stillraining; 06-08-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insails View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Probably by hitting something.
Reports indicate that they did not hit anything.

I agree, we should stay focused and upbeat about the recovery of Mr. Stone.

I would suggest that at the appropriate time, a separate thread be opened to discuss how the keel of a fairly new Cape Fear 38 could fall off, with or without provocation.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT