Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
PFDs inflating inside the boat.
This is why I always tell my people not to don the lifejackets until they are outside. People will not take them off even if they have to dive down to egress the vessel. Thus they can't/won't swim down and out of the vessel.
For this reason I ensure that my crew are not wearing their Survival gear inside the vessel and that the gear is placed where they can grab it on the way out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Sounds very much like Roger Stone was a real hero, helping to save the lives of his shipmates.

Perhaps in a curious way, his death may serve to save others as well. The danger of wearing inflatable life jackets below has not been generally made known, and I'll admit to wearing mine below occasionally, as do my crewmembers.

Not any more! Clearly, this is a dangerous practice if your boat capsizes and fills quickly.

Also, while Boasun's practice seems prudent, there could be the danger of the stored inflatable lifejackets inflating by themselves, in which case they would be useless anyway (since you couldn't swim them down and out) and, conceivably, they could block egress from the vessel. Much better to have them stored somewhere in the cockpit or on deck where they might float free, but then there's the problem of donning them in bad weather when exiting the cabin.

Food for thought!

Bill
Old 06-09-2008

tweitz is on a distinguished road
I always have more PFDs than people aboard. I keep some in the cabin, some in the lazarette and floating cushions in the cockpit. I had never thought of this problem either, but it certainly is food for thought. This is especially true for the inflatables. I always thought one of the big advantages of the inflatable PFD is that it is so easy to wear, the crew will just put it on and leave it on all the time. But now I am not so sure that is a good idea below.
Old 06-09-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
From the e-mail I got from one of the guy's father, Roger Stone did indeed save the life of two of the crew, at the expense of his own. As sad and tragic as that is, it also restores one's faith in the heroic qualities of ordinary people, when they rise to the occasion and do extrodinary things. I can't but help believe that such people receive a reward, far beyond our imagining.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-09-2008

messenger is on a distinguished road
My prayers to the Stone family. As a twenty year resident of Galveston in the 80s and 90s, I may have at one time run into Roger Stone. I have had many friends and business associates that work on Pelican Island at the TAMU facility.
Perhaps it is a bit early, but post above are mentioning the various stowage of life saving equipment... my question, Galveston to Veracruz, bluewater, where was the raft stowed?
Old 06-09-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
From the e-mail I got from one of the guy's father, Roger Stone did indeed save the life of two of the crew, at the expense of his own. As sad and tragic as that is, it also restores one's faith in the heroic qualities of ordinary people, when they rise to the occasion and do extrodinary things. I can't but help believe that such people receive a reward, far beyond our imagining.

Well said PBzeer... Well Said..... As Still Raining put it, CRAP... Prayers for his family for their loss.
Old 06-09-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Mr. Stone is indeed a hero.

It's a sobering reminder to some of us little guys who have boats with positive flotation that just because the boat is on the surface doesn't mean it is a safe place to be.
Old 06-09-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Mr. Stone obviously had some "stones". It's a tragedy that he was not able to save himself after saving his crewmates. RIP Mr. Stone, and conodolences to the family.

As others have pointed out, this incident highlights some issues with PFD's that I know I have never considered. It has me thinking that perhaps having different types of PFD's might be a good idea. Like an autoinflateable with harness while on watch, with another manual inflateable you could wear below decks if offshore in really dicey weather.

This one incident highlights both why having a PFD on below decks might be desireable. The boat turtled really suddenly, and if you didn't have a PFD on, you might not have had time to find and don one before the boat sank. At the same time, the incident shows why having an autoinflateable on below decks could be a bad idea, because it could hinder your exit from the sinking boat.

A bit of a catch-22 for any one PFD. Its definitely an incident with some lessons to be learned for a wide cross seciton of sailors.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 06-09-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Yes, that's precisely the problem to consider. A lifejacket which is ideal for cockpit/deck use may be very dangerous to use below. And, in bad conditions, the problems of donning, changing, stowing life jackets safely BEFORE entering or leaving the cockpit can be challenging.

I don't know if it exists, but I'm thinking that I'd very much like to see an auto-inflatable lifejacket with hydrostatic release (NOT the tablet-kind which can be set off by a couple of heavy boarding waves) ... fitted with a selector switch, so that you could choose either automatic or manual deployment.

With such a device, you could routinely choose "auto" when going on deck, and "manual" when going belowdecks.

Mustang? You listening up? Could your Model 3184 be so modified????

Bill
Old 06-09-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
My West 4000 can be Auto or manual depending on how you set it but it is a time consuming process and has a pill. West (made by Mustang) has a new Hydrostatic one that I want. I noticed the Coast Guard is finally going to inflatables. I've wondered what took them so long.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White