Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Cause?

When and if the cause becomes known, please post it. It is exactly this type of accident that makes my wife very skittish. I always point out that the pictures she sees in the sailing magazines with boats missing their keels are typically racing machines, pushing the envelop with new technologies and configurations. I always tell her production boats do not suffer from such problems. Then, something like this happens and it sets us back quite a ways.

Thoughts and prayers with his family.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I don't see how a PFD inflating in the cabin is a problem unless you are not a strong person, or a strong swimmer, I'm speculating here but maybe something else happened, maybe he was knocked out buy something in the boat when it turtled? I just don't see a PFD as the cause, I could grab every single one in my boat and swim with them to the bottom of a pool (I've tried as a teenager, taking every PFD we had and swimming to the bottom on a bet) I'm stronger now then I was then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 06-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Welsh...this is a very light production boat built for the racing crowd with a deep draft and bulb fin keel. I too will be interested in what actually happened but re-assure your wife that the scantlings for such a boat are like a Maserati vs. a Hummer when compared to production blue water boats. If the keel falling off is a real concern for her...get a boat with an encapsulated keel or a full keel.
Old 06-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
EmKay-

Have you ever been in the water in an inflatable PFD and had it inflate while you were wearing it??? I doubt it.

It is one thing to swim with the PFDs in your arm and have the other arm unencumbered for swimming...and another to try and swim with an inflated inflatable PFD wrapped around your torso, hindering your movement. Also, most inflatable PFDs will provide 35 lbs. of flotation, compared to the 22 lbs. or so provided by non-inflatable PFDs.

Also, just because you can do something in a vest-type kayak PFD, doesn't mean that you could do the same thing in an inflatable, because of the way one interferes with your arm movement and is concentrated around the chest and neck, versus being spread out far more evenly. It can be difficult to swim at all in an inflatable, since the PFD wants to try and flip you over...

Finally, there's a big difference between doing something in a clear and open swimming pool and the same thing inside an inverted, possibly still rolling, pitching, yawing boat that may have lines and other obstacles blocking a relatively small exit. Most companionways aren't very wide or very tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
I don't see how a PFD inflating in the cabin is a problem unless you are not a strong person, or a strong swimmer, I'm speculating here but maybe something else happened, maybe he was knocked out buy something in the boat when it turtled? I just don't see a PFD as the cause, I could grab every single one in my boat and swim with them to the bottom of a pool (I've tried as a teenager, taking every PFD we had and swimming to the bottom on a bet) I'm stronger now then I was then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-10-2008

FortWorthPhil is on a distinguished road
My condolences to the Stone family. Roger was indeed a hero and his actions will be remembered. A memorial located at A&M Pelican Island or even at the Sea Wolfe park / pier would be very fitting for such a brave man. We visit Galveston every year and I am sure I will remember this tragedy every time I drive onto Pelican Island.

This discussion has me re-thinking PFD storage and deployment on my boat. I have both auto inflatable PFD's and type two's on board along with seat cushions that act as a PFD. I too will keep an eye on this string to get a better idea of exactly what happened and lessons to learn.
Old 06-10-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
EmKay-
Finally, there's a big difference between doing something in a clear and open swimming pool and the same thing inside an inverted, possibly still rolling, pitching, yawing boat that may have lines and other obstacles blocking a relatively small exit. Most companionways aren't very wide or very tall.
Don't leave out the darkness of a moonless night in the upside down rocking boat and trying to act at great speed . . . . . . . Scared S***less if it were me in that situation. I have tried to swim down wearing my inflatable . . . can't get more than a foot down and I am a very fit guy . . . life long swimmer/freediving spearfisher. The horror of what these guy's went through has been on my mind since I heard about it. I've played it over and over in my head. I will be mindful of it when my family is sailing with me. Like Cam said, it's extremely rare for this type of thing to occur but . . . be prepared.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 06-10-2008
sailor

solzephyr is on a distinguished road
Question Sail On Mr Stone

As many now know 5 of the Agie crew were rescewd, and Mr Stone gave his life to ensure the others were off before him. What have we learned from this tragedy? Where was the rescue pod? Why only 4 Lifejackets for the 5 suviovors? What saved the 5 was a waterproof flashlight, 4 lifejackets and an instructor who kept them together and close by the wreck.
Old 06-11-2008

messenger is on a distinguished road
From The Galveston County Daily News
Old 06-11-2008

messenger is on a distinguished road
Also this from the Galveston County Daily News

To me,since this vessel remained awash, and if not too much is done damage wise during recovering, I am assuming many questions can, hopefully, be answered....keel, raft, etc.
Old 06-11-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
With all due respect, this seems astounding. How many vests is "all"? What kind of shape were they in? I am also a strong swimmer and I have done some snorkeling with the little inflatable PFDs made for that and even with fins on I find it difficult to go under unless I have the vest pretty lightly filled. A big part of it is that wearing the vest causes you to be aimed head up.