Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008

BigAssHam is on a distinguished road
Sorry, time to vent...

Ok, I know that most of the time, the old 'Stinkpot' vs 'Ragtop' debate is usually just for fun and no one takes it seriously. However, the epitome of obnoxious rich guys in cigarette boats was in full display on Saturday during the EYC One Design race in Annapolis.

On Saturday, there was a blanket of fog covering the bay because the warm, moist air was blowing over the cool, dry water....(ok, the water wasn't really dry ). The start of the race was delayed about 2 1/2 hours and during that time all the classes were sailing or puttering around the committee boat. Visibility at times was reduced to 50 yards or less.

Some club for cigarette boats was having a 'poker run' on the bay. On multiple occassions, we heard the roar of the boats but could not see them because of the fog as the headed up the Severn. About a half hour later, we heard the roar again only this time is was getting loader and loader. Then, out of the fog, about 6 of them came blasting through the fleet at full speed at a time when visibility was down to about 40 - 50 yards. UN * FREAKIN' * BELIEVABLE! One of the had to take evasive manuveres to avoid smacking into us. Later on, after the fog had lifted somewhat, we saw another cigarette boat blast right through the Optimist course where all the kids were racing - right through the middle of the orange markers while the kids were sailing.

These guys were total morons and were lucky that they didn't kill anyone. Of course, the marine police were probably over at Harness Creek conducting 'safety' inspections on the anchored boats. .

There. I feel better. Now back to you're regular programming....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
That has been an issue on Lake Texoma for a while. I think there are both kinds: the responsible drivers, and the idiots.

We actually had a wreck on a poker run about two years ago down here. I think the steering linkage broke on one of the boats, causing him to turn violently and rammed into another boat running beside him. Killed everyone - I think. I cannot remember now. I understand that it was an acciddent from responsible people. But if that had happened when he was going through the Opti's... can you imagine?

'I am sorry, it was an accident,' just does not cover the loss of someone's child.

At any rate, what you described is just flat wreckless.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-10-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I, who in general disfavor mandatory licensing of recreational boat operators, have to bite my tongue when I hear about stuff like this.

You're off Annapolis, where the Inland Rules apply? Rule 6 ("Safe Speed") applies to everyone. I didn't see an exception for cigarette boats on a "poker run".

And dare I ask what a "poker run" is?? Never mind, I'd rather not.

I cringe as gasoline hits $4 and diesel $5 per gallon. But maybe this dark cloud has a silver lining?

Last edited by nolatom; 06-10-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We sailed in a lot of fog last weekend. (I shot a vid and hope to load it soon), I can't imagine someone coming in out of the fog at 60, 70, 80 MPH.
Thats just crazy. I was a bit uncomfortable at 6 knots. LOL.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-10-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
We can only hope. One thing I like about the PNW. I've never seen a cigarette boat up here. Lot's of trawlers and the occasional MY but no go fast boats.
Old 06-10-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Agree - we were out there Saturday, with guests from out of state. I can't imagine what those boats were thinking -or, more likely, not thinking - we couldn't stop in the distance *we* could see - at about 5 kts!

At the same time, I wonder about the wisdom of holding the race in a heavily trafficked area in such poor visibility. In my mind, this was putting those kids in harm's way.
Old 06-10-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
At the risk of sounding like a total n00b; Did anyone file a complaint with the coast guard? I am told that they take complaints from other boaters seriously.

Eryka -
Quote:
Later on, after the fog had lifted somewhat, we saw another cigarette boat blast right through the Optimist course where all the kids were racing - right through the middle of the orange markers while the kids were sailing.
I respectfully disagree. If the kids were racing in fog that "had lifted somewhat," they had every right to be there participating in an organized race. Much more so than some idiot acting irresponsibly.

Last edited by eherlihy; 06-10-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2008

BigAssHam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
Agree - we were out there Saturday, with guests from out of state. I can't imagine what those boats were thinking -or, more likely, not thinking - we couldn't stop in the distance *we* could see - at about 5 kts!

At the same time, I wonder about the wisdom of holding the race in a heavily trafficked area in such poor visibility. In my mind, this was putting those kids in harm's way.
I thought the Optie course was pretty far off to the side. The race committe boat moved the whole fleet down there for a start because the visibility was so much better. I actually saw several boats cut right through their course.

I would not have wanted to be a parent of one of those kids and saw what was happening.
Old 06-10-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
"And dare I ask what a "poker run" is?? Never mind, I'd rather not. "

Sounds completely irresponsible (the actions of the boat captains, not the poker run, per se). Maybe it is me, but it seems like there is a lot more poor boating behavior in the mid-Atlantic than what I observed growing up in New England. Here, I contantly have huge powerboats pass about ten feet off, kicking up a huge wake, rather than giving a little clearance. And they even have the nerve to wave while passing.

As for a "poker run," it is nothing more than a group event where the participants go to several pre-determined locations throughout the day and receive one playing card at each stop. At the end of the day, the participant with the highest hand wins. It isn't supposed to be a race. I've participated in a few motorcycle poker runs, and aside from having fun the primary purpose is usually to raise money for a good cause. But, good cause does not excuse poor behavior.
Old 06-10-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
SVC...it gets even better down Flori-duh way!! Ask Paul how he got his Cardiac!!