SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Alex and Crew (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/44052-alex-crew.html)

tommyt 06-11-2008 12:42 PM

Alex and Crew

Kind of quiet on this trip report. If Windguru, Portugal, forecast was correct they had light winds in the mornings and 12-15 from the NNE in the afternoon yesterday and today. A kite may be flying as we speak and they turn the corner.

Hope all is well, the Octopus Salad all stayed down, and Chuckles got to see some boat speed. As long as it is clear, and it looks to be, they will have some beautiful scenery when not looking for pot markers.

Valiente 06-11-2008 11:33 PM

They rounded Sagres at approximately 7 AM EDT. I spoke to my wife at 9:15 AM and she said they were motoring, having passed it two hours previously without incident. She said that they had 20 knots behind them the previous day (Tuesday) and that the assy. spin. had quite the workout and that they had broached the boat a few times..again without real harm, except perhaps to the sensibilities of the catamaran owners aboard.

I will assume that they made Vilamoura in one piece and that my wife will wander about that compact little paradise for a day until Alex drives her to the airport in the middle of the night.

Apparently, there is some kind of "diesel strike" going on and the bus we took isn't running, so Alex may have to suck the boat tanks dry to fuel his car...

teshannon 06-12-2008 05:23 AM

Sounds like some good stories to be told when they get back.

tdw 06-12-2008 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiente (Post 328009)
They rounded Sagres at approximately 7 AM EDT. I spoke to my wife at 9:15 AM and she said they were motoring, having passed it two hours previously without incident. She said that they had 20 knots behind them the previous day (Tuesday) and that the assy. spin. had quite the workout and that they had broached the boat a few times..again without real harm, except perhaps to the sensibilities of the catamaran owners aboard.

I will assume that they made Vilamoura in one piece and that my wife will wander about that compact little paradise for a day until Alex drives her to the airport in the middle of the night.

Apparently, there is some kind of "diesel strike" going on and the bus we took isn't running, so Alex may have to suck the boat tanks dry to fuel his car...

His Jag should love that !! :eek:

There is a general transport strike going on at the moment. It's not total but work to rules according to our Spanish freight forwarder. Didn't realise it had spread to Portugal but it started in France and has spread to Spain.

Very envious of them.

Valiente 06-12-2008 11:29 AM

The strikers or the crew? They've had plenty of sunshine and not overly hot weather, at least. I'm about 30 hours from getting a first-hand account. I wonder if Alex's fancy drawer latches stayed secure in a full-on broach? I wonder if the octopus salad survived?

blueranger 06-12-2008 02:28 PM

Seriously, Chuckles just went through a few broaches? If for real I'm thinking the octopus salad got recycled as fish chum...

SVCarolena 06-16-2008 05:07 PM

Any update?

tommyt 06-16-2008 11:42 PM

Last year we gave updates as soon as we got back. OK, so they took a couple of days to complete, but as quickly as possible. Where are the updates? How long are these people spending in Portugal?

sailaway21 06-17-2008 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyt (Post 329936)
Last year we gave updates as soon as we got back. OK, so they took a couple of days to complete, but as quickly as possible. Where are the updates? How long are these people spending in Portugal?

I dunno, T. How much money you figure they got? :D

sailortjk1 06-17-2008 08:24 AM

Alex is too busy cleaning the puke off the decks to update us.
Chuckles is still looking for some clean underwear.