Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Alex and Crew

Kind of quiet on this trip report. If Windguru, Portugal, forecast was correct they had light winds in the mornings and 12-15 from the NNE in the afternoon yesterday and today. A kite may be flying as we speak and they turn the corner.

Hope all is well, the Octopus Salad all stayed down, and Chuckles got to see some boat speed. As long as it is clear, and it looks to be, they will have some beautiful scenery when not looking for pot markers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
They rounded Sagres at approximately 7 AM EDT. I spoke to my wife at 9:15 AM and she said they were motoring, having passed it two hours previously without incident. She said that they had 20 knots behind them the previous day (Tuesday) and that the assy. spin. had quite the workout and that they had broached the boat a few times..again without real harm, except perhaps to the sensibilities of the catamaran owners aboard.

I will assume that they made Vilamoura in one piece and that my wife will wander about that compact little paradise for a day until Alex drives her to the airport in the middle of the night.

Apparently, there is some kind of "diesel strike" going on and the bus we took isn't running, so Alex may have to suck the boat tanks dry to fuel his car...
Old 06-12-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like some good stories to be told when they get back.
Old 06-12-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
They rounded Sagres at approximately 7 AM EDT. I spoke to my wife at 9:15 AM and she said they were motoring, having passed it two hours previously without incident. She said that they had 20 knots behind them the previous day (Tuesday) and that the assy. spin. had quite the workout and that they had broached the boat a few times..again without real harm, except perhaps to the sensibilities of the catamaran owners aboard.

I will assume that they made Vilamoura in one piece and that my wife will wander about that compact little paradise for a day until Alex drives her to the airport in the middle of the night.

Apparently, there is some kind of "diesel strike" going on and the bus we took isn't running, so Alex may have to suck the boat tanks dry to fuel his car...
His Jag should love that !!

There is a general transport strike going on at the moment. It's not total but work to rules according to our Spanish freight forwarder. Didn't realise it had spread to Portugal but it started in France and has spread to Spain.

Very envious of them.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-12-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The strikers or the crew? They've had plenty of sunshine and not overly hot weather, at least. I'm about 30 hours from getting a first-hand account. I wonder if Alex's fancy drawer latches stayed secure in a full-on broach? I wonder if the octopus salad survived?
Old 06-12-2008

blueranger is on a distinguished road
Seriously, Chuckles just went through a few broaches? If for real I'm thinking the octopus salad got recycled as fish chum...
Old 06-16-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Any update?
Old 06-16-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Last year we gave updates as soon as we got back. OK, so they took a couple of days to complete, but as quickly as possible. Where are the updates? How long are these people spending in Portugal?
Old 06-17-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
Last year we gave updates as soon as we got back. OK, so they took a couple of days to complete, but as quickly as possible. Where are the updates? How long are these people spending in Portugal?
I dunno, T. How much money you figure they got?
Old 06-17-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Alex is too busy cleaning the puke off the decks to update us.
Chuckles is still looking for some clean underwear.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White