Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Tribute to Mac power/sailor Site

I saw a link to this site on another site. These guys are not exactly hard-core sailors, but they show great enthusiasm and they did make "custom made jackets" for their first ever race:

1999 MacGregor 26 X PowerSailor* --* New Bern, NC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Gotta hand it to those MacGregor boys, they have their act together. Work in a couple live wells and that thing would be ideal for MS coastal activities, where there's easy access to fresh, brackish, and saltwater fishing. With the price of fuel at record levels, I'd think the speedy sailing would be more favorably looked upon these days. The construction appears very good, and despite the repeated mention on light weight for agile performance, did I see solid fiberglass (no coring)? No chopped glass? Hand-laid woven roving? Very nice. They did show running in various wind, some pretty brisk, and it did well. I especially liked that they showed the boat doing various maneuvers without the engine even being mounted. The only thing I could see where it'd be uncomfortable would be the same for any flat-bottomed hull....the short tight chop like we see on the coast when the wind kicks up. It's too shallow for any serious surf. Still, the video impresses. Were I in a different situation, I' have to seriously consider the Mac 26. Since all boats are compromises, a Mac makes a very convincing argument, especially in the trailer-sailer segment, and at $21,500?!?!?!? Are you gonna cross oceans with it? Duh. Not unless you're trying to prove something. Traitionalists may grumble and mock, but evolution improves the breed, and the 26 is a fine example.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 06-15-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Traitionalists may grumble and mock, but evolution improves the breed, and the 26 is a fine example.

That's hilarious!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2008

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
These log entries give a flavor of the site:

Quote:
We decided to brave all weather (which was great) and launched at the Morehead City launch in the dark. The kids were asleep in the car as we set the boat up. With a successful launch... only one scrape on the side of the boat, we motored over to the Morehead City waterfront and anchored there. The current was pretty strong so it took a while to set the anchor. Morning... motored over to Shackleford Island and spent lunch there swimming and playing in the sand. Afternoon.... put up the sail after getting though the inlet (which is notorious for rough waves... kids did not like that part) and sailed all the way on the Ocean side to Cape Lookout. Beautiful sailing all the way... dropped sail as we entered the hook, tons of sailboats anchored there. So I decided to show off what a powersailor can do... powered fast around them... then hit the sandbar I forgot about, yea... classy... luckily I had about a foot of water so I put up the sails and sailed right off it... hoorah! Anchoring turned out to be very difficult... really strong current. Evening.... had a great steak dinner on the boat and took a nice stroll around the light house. Next day we sailed back to Shackleford (yea thru the inlet again) and spent the rest of the day playing in the sand and surf. Got the boat back to the launch and stopped at Dairy Queen to celebrate a really successful Maiden Voyage for KnotShore!
~Captain Erik, Commanding Officer.
Old 06-16-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Eric of the Knot Shore? I know that guy! He was on the Lookout trip I went on last fall. I crewed on a QuickStep 21. It was a great trip. It was a "Pirate Sail" and Eric was in character. He had that Mac dressed up as a pirate ship and even had a real cannon. He (actually his crew) shot chocolate muffins at other boats. Using the motor, they flitted around between boats on the way out (very low wind) and made it a much more social event than it might have been otherwise. Yeah, different strokes and all that, but for that group and that outing, it was great to have him along. If you are serious about sailing and want your sailboat to be all abot sailing, the MacX is the wrong boat. There was another guy on the trip in a MacX that had his kids along and they were pretty average teenagers and liked the boat. Sailing isn't always such an easy sell (I am losing my oldest it seems). I have considered getting a light powerful engine to plane my boat fast enough to pull a toy just to get my oldest back out.
Old 06-16-2008
supernoob

82sabre is on a distinguished road
hey at least it seems like he's having a lot of fun with his boat.

S/V Easy Skankin' 28 foot Sabre Ketch
Old 06-16-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
New Breeds

Gee, at first I thought it was a really old dealership ad going back to 1999, but after reading I see it is someone who really likes the boat he got. Yes, it is getting so popular that the factory cannot keep up with sales so now Hunter is back in on the act with The Edge
Youngstown, New York, Back Cove, Beneteau, Sabre, Hunter Marine, Boats, Sailboats, Dealer, Used, Parts, Services, Financing
Looks like a good contender especially with the 8'6" beam, that should provide some room to stretch out in.
The powersailor concept is catching on more every year since it is so versatile and affordable (we'll have to wait & see Hunter' s price point) and they are well suited to their intended venue. What I like most is that when time comes to sell it one does not have to wait until it sells to vacate the slip. You simply haul out and park in the driveway and sell at your own leisure, no more slip fees, of course that is assuming one has a slip. What with the declining availability of wet slips the trailerable market is set to expand. They may not be blue water boats but they sure do appeal to a specific niche market and there is no shortage of buyers.
Old 06-30-2008

Alsailsmacs is on a distinguished road
Smile Mac 26X vs 26S

I am currently looking for a Macgregor 26X becuase of its many advantages (and I don't care about speed). I owned a 26S for 5 years and loved it, except for the headroom as I am 6'3". We sailed in Lake Michigan (up to 5 ft waves and that was real fun for me..really), plus Lake Erie, Georigan Bay while scuba diving (4 foot waves and that was fun too) and many lakes and resevours. It always felt safe and I always felt in control.

I had/have owned other sailboats smaller fro 14 to 18 feet and wanted something bigger, easy to sail and easy to haul around Michigan. My 26S had a 10 hp Honda and I installed a steering wheel because of my chronic back problems. It was a great boat but I sold it..now wish I had it back but still couldn't do anything about the headroom. I looked at other sailboats of comparable size and cost but all were a lot smaller inside and I wanted more than the 16" of headroom when sleeping offered by competitors. It crused at about 8 mph and sailed topping 6mpg (based on my GPS). I recommed the 26S if you are less than 6 foot.

I have been on a 26X and am looking for one to go for a ride in (and whats with the 50 hp motors anyway, its a sailboat).

I sold it for more than I paid for it..and you don't do that often with a sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
Gotta hand it to those MacGregor boys, they have their act together. Work in a couple live wells and that thing would be ideal for MS coastal activities, where there's easy access to fresh, brackish, and saltwater fishing. With the price of fuel at record levels, I'd think the speedy sailing would be more favorably looked upon these days. The construction appears very good, and despite the repeated mention on light weight for agile performance, did I see solid fiberglass (no coring)? No chopped glass? Hand-laid woven roving? Very nice. They did show running in various wind, some pretty brisk, and it did well. I especially liked that they showed the boat doing various maneuvers without the engine even being mounted. The only thing I could see where it'd be uncomfortable would be the same for any flat-bottomed hull....the short tight chop like we see on the coast when the wind kicks up. It's too shallow for any serious surf. Still, the video impresses. Were I in a different situation, I' have to seriously consider the Mac 26. Since all boats are compromises, a Mac makes a very convincing argument, especially in the trailer-sailer segment, and at $21,500?!?!?!? Are you gonna cross oceans with it? Duh. Not unless you're trying to prove something. Traitionalists may grumble and mock, but evolution improves the breed, and the 26 is a fine example.
Old 06-30-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
You want a Mac?? Here's a Mac.. this one's 65' long and for sale!

Tribute to Mac power/sailor Site-displayimage.jpg

Tribute to Mac power/sailor Site-displayimage1.jpg

Having this baby will make you the envy of Mac-sailors everwhere!!

Might be a bit hard to get on a trailer though..
Old 06-30-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Isn't missing a pair of these