Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
Didn't Moitessier also abandon his wife & kids, who were awaiting his return? I don't get the accolades showered on him for blowing off the end of the race and sailing to Tahiti. He could have quit the race without having to abandon his family, if he had some philosophical problem with winning.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
To understand Moitessier you really need to read his book. Not that I am defending his decision to run away from his wife and kids......although if she was in any way similar to my first........

This discussion opens up a huge can of worms.

Ok so we all accept that Joshua Slocum was the first to solo circumnavigate.

Francis Chichester did it making only one stop.

Robin Knox-Johnson won the first Whitbread non-stop race.

Moitessier pulled out when leading....having already crossed his outbound path....so he completed a solo circumnavigation before Knox-Johnston.

But Tetley , whose boat fell apart before he could finish and who would have undoubtedly won had crossed his outbound path before either K-J or BM so really he was the first to successfully complete a solo non-stop circumnavigation.

edit - stupid wombat. Tetley was behind Knox Johnston on the water although ahead on corrected time so both KJ and BM completed a circumnavigation before him. I'd not allowed for the staggered starting times.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 06-16-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

Ok so we all accept that Joshua Slocum was the first to solo circumnavigate.

Francis Chichester did it making only one stop.

Robin Knox-Johnson won the first Whitbread non-stop race.

Moitessier pulled out when leading....having already crossed his outbound path....so he completed a solo circumnavigation before Knox-Johnston.

But Tetley , whose boat fell apart before he could finish and who would have undoubtedly won had crossed his outbound path before either K-J or BM so really he was the first to successfully complete a solo non-stop circumnavigation.

edit - stupid wombat. Tetley was behind Knox Johnston on the water although ahead on corrected time so both KJ and BM completed a circumnavigation before him. I'd not allowed for the staggered starting times.
It's tricky making comparisions like that - don't forget that "back in those days" positions were calculated by the sailor himself and radioed back to London when reception was possible.

Everyone knows that Crowhurst rigged/mis-calculated/whatever some of his positions - who's to say the others didn't either at one stage or another? Without GPS, no-one will ever know for sure.. including the skippers themselves. (KJ talks about that quite a bit in his book)

The only thing that's certain is that KJ, sailing an ordinary boat - not an expensive racer like some of the others had - left England at a particular date and time and arrived back at a particular date and time. What with the Doldrums, storms and other hazards to navigation, who crossed where when doesn't really mean much...

I'm sure that if Moitessier thought he could win, he would have at least crossed the finish line - but he didn't and the rest is history.

BTW: KJ nearly stuffed it up when he ran aground in NZ (one stop?) and some helpful locals got too helpful - but he managed to extricate himself and sail on...
Old 06-16-2008

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Moitessier passed on the race when he decided not to have the fanfair .
He was raised within aisan reglion ..I think it was budda ,,,zen and all .
As Moitessier was at one with the sea and all nature !

Meditation and yoga were a large part of his journey .In one of his books he memtioned the sling shot message that he was going on to his old home and the way of life >
Old 06-16-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny33 View Post
Moitessier passed on the race when he decided not to have the fanfair .
He was raised within aisan reglion ..I think it was budda ,,,zen and all .
As Moitessier was at one with the sea and all nature !

Meditation and yoga were a large part of his journey .In one of his books he memtioned the sling shot message that he was going on to his old home and the way of life >
Sounds like a complete nutter!.. and the best man won.