Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008

mstern is on a distinguished road
Crowhurst Documentary

PBS is now showing the documentary "Deep Water" on the show "Independent Lens". Deep Water is the story of the first Golden Globe solo circumnavigation race; it is famous for two reasons: producing Robin Knox-Johnston as the first man to sail non-stop solo around the world, and perhaps even more compelling, it gave us the strange but true story of Donald Crowhurst. Deep Water tells both, but really focusses on Crowhurst. Lots of great period newsfootage, tape and film records of Crowhurst on his boat, interviews with his family, and a quite chilling portrayal of a man slowly driven mad. I watched it last night and all I can say is Wow. A must-see.

Check your local PBS listing for when Independent Lens will be shown this week. It was on last night on the Springfield (Mass.) station, and will be on Connecticut Public Television this Wednesday at 8.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This doc has been the subject of several threads already, it is, indeed, very compelling stuff. The present-day family interviews are particularly strong.

It's a good film, well done. If you enjoyed that there are several books about that race, by participants and others, including one about Crowhurst. All good reads.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-16-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Chichestsire (spelling?) was the first to circumnavigate without stopping then came the First Race with Nine entries.
In this first race that Don Crowhurst entered and ended up in a downward spiral that ended his life. I won't say what caused this, mainly because I wasn't there on the boat with him and it would be conjecture.
But I did enjoy the documentry and wouldn't mind going for it myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 06-16-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Chichester stopped in Sidney, Australia.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 06-16-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
I read the Longest Race by Hal Roth a couple of months ago and it was such an interesting book about all the participants and the race in general. Can't wait to watch this movie about it.
Old 06-16-2008

sgkuhner is on a distinguished road
I bought the CD last year and showed it at our yacht club to a full house and much praise. It truely is a great story. One Engilsh friend came up to me afterwards and said that he was from the same town as Crowhurst and remembers when he took off; and, was sympathetic when some people thought Crowhurst was crazy and ill prepared.
Old 06-16-2008

radly53 is on a distinguished road
Here is the link, just click on broadcast to see when it is airing in your area Independent Lens . Program Guide | PBS
Old 06-16-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Chichestsire (spelling?) was the first to circumnavigate without stopping then came the First Race with Nine entries.
In this first race that Don Crowhurst entered and ended up in a downward spiral that ended his life. I won't say what caused this, mainly because I wasn't there on the boat with him and it would be conjecture.
But I did enjoy the documentry and wouldn't mind going for it myself.
Actually it was (Sir) Robin Knox-Johnston. His book "A World Of My Own" is a really good read if you are interested in the background to all this.

The guy was (and still is) pretty amazing - he gets a nothing-special boat built in India and then sails it to England, hears about the race, can't afford a new boat properly fitted out so he enters with what he has - and then only just makes it.

The picture of him sitting on the dock on a year's worth of provisions and grinning from ear to ear is just priceless.
Old 06-16-2008

snider is on a distinguished road
Bernard Moitessier

I'm not trying to take anything away from Sir Robin Knox-Johnson, he did win and finish the race. He has also done so many great things since. He recently completed a solo round the world race in 2006 taking him only 67 days. A lot shorter than the 312 it took him in the late 60's. Not bad for a 67 year old. Moitessier's story is also compelling. He actually crossed his outbound track before Johnson crossed his, and then sailed non-stop another halfway around the world to Tahiti. All of this with telephone poles for masts.
Old 06-16-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I am also a great fan of Moitessier. His books are a wonderful read.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217