Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
when to deploy the drop down keel?

There has been a debate onboard regarding when to use the drop down keel on our 32 ft shoal draft cruiser.

Position A is always. For lack of the correct descriptive physics it seems to me that the counter forces of the sail and keel enable the sail plan.

Position B is that the keel may provide too much drag/resistant foce in light air thereby slowing the boats progress, and to only use it during heavy wind and or large wave action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
On my previous swing keel boat, I generally deployed the keel to aid in windward progress.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I have a little swing keel boat. On a beam it will limit leeway but cost me speed. Going windward even a little bit it helps, especially for tacking. Running downwind it does nothing but slow the boat and makes gybing harder.
Old 06-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
is it a lifting keel or a swing keel??? Not the same thing imho. A swing keel is essentially a glorified, weighted centerboard. A lifting keel is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambianceack View Post
There has been a debate onboard regarding when to use the drop down keel on our 32 ft shoal draft cruiser.

Position A is always. For lack of the correct descriptive physics it seems to me that the counter forces of the sail and keel enable the sail plan.

Position B is that the keel may provide too much drag/resistant foce in light air thereby slowing the boats progress, and to only use it during heavy wind and or large wave action.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-19-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Use of a 'drop down keel', whether it be centerboard, swing keel, or a true drop down depends on the boat, it's underwater shape etc..
For example, usually I'd say light air needs nothing down, even making to windward - and especially if you have a hard chine to bite the water and halt leeward drift.
Normally downwind you need no centerboard/keel action as it's (the keel/centerboard) meant to prevent leeward drift by providing upwind lift to the boat. Therefore downwind you raise as much as you can to prevent drag/minimalize submerged surface area.
Upwind use depends on wind speed, boat and a host of other variables, for instance I have to centerboards that are assymetrically shaped, I drop the windward one by stages depending on wind strength and only as much as needed to make my desired degrees off the wind with minimal helm and rudder drag.
OTH, when I'm single handing I often deploy both boards half down and leave them there as it's a good lazy man's solution.

Afraid we'd need to know more to answer more specifically.
Old 06-19-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
I would say if it is a swing keel you should always keep it down on a beat. The ability to point higher and slide sideways less will more than compensate for the added drag. Also raising it effects the CR of the boat and could create lee helm, depending on how your boat is balanced out, which if the wind suddenly picks up could put you in a bad situation. It is also acts as your ballast which could, if it was up in a heavy gust, cause a knock down that may otherwise have been avoided.

Last edited by Banshi; 06-19-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambianceack View Post

On a boat that size I would suspect that you have a centerboard, i.e a device designed to provide lateral resistence by being down when sailing upwind (right on PBzeer). It is probably not a 'keel" which would have signifacant weight intended to promote stability when deployed. Even a centerboard weighting only 1-2oo pounds will require a winch...but it isn't really a keel.

If you call it by the right name, you'll get more useful responses.
Old 06-20-2008

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
I have a Helms 25 with a shallow fixed 1650# ballasted keel and a 6' long steel 300 pound centerboard. All good points above. I might add depending on the design of your boat, the amount the centerboard is lowered can be used to adjust your weather helm. Going close hauled, it's amazing how the tiller feel changes as the centerboard is lowered from zero to ten turns of the centerboard winch. 30 turns is full down.
1976 #552
Old 06-20-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
What is technically correct and what term is generally used and understood are not always the same. The big piece of steel that swings down on my boat weighs about 140 pounds and almost anywhere you find a listing for my boat or similar ones they will be referred to as a "swing keel".

Chuckles is right about needing more specific info, though. I have a planing hull with a shallow V, so I cannot point nearly as well without it if I am heeling.
Old 06-20-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
What is technically correct and what term is generally used and understood are not always the same. The big piece of steel that swings down on my boat weighs about 140 pounds and almost anywhere you find a listing for my boat or similar ones they will be referred to as a "swing keel".

Chuckles is right about needing more specific info, though. I have a planing hull with a shallow V, so I cannot point nearly as well without it if I am heeling.
Sounds like your boat has a swing keel then, not a centerboard, that makes some sense on a 17' foot boat, but not on a 32' which is four to five times larger and is again most likely equipped with a centerboard. Knowing what it is pretty key to knowing what it is for...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.