SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Silly question . . .

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  knothead 
#1 ·
When there's no wind or the kids get to bored we play silly sailboat games. One that the kids like the most is hooking a ski tow handle with a short rope to the spinnaker halyard and swinging the kids off the deck into the lake.

Is this a level of stress that the rig can reliably handle without harm? What about if the weight swung off is an adult?

Thanks

#4 ·
Most kids' weights should pose no problem unless you're on a really lightly rigged small boat. On a moderate sized boat a large adult will impose some shock loads that you'll feel - but again, a well rigged boat can handle all that even though the rig will rattle and shudder a bit.

A variation on the theme: We used to rig the Spinnaker pole up as high as it would go on the mast track and run the halyard through the outboard end. It makes for a better "rope swing" by getting things away from the boat, and reduces the risk of someone who forgot (or was afraid) to let go slamming into the boat on the backswing.

#9 ·
Did she kill you for doing that???
The stresses of the sails far outweigh swinging by the halyard.

]

and this is what happens when you release the halyard at the right time

#6 ·
On drifter days, we used to drag them behind the boat on a ski rope.

This was on Lake Keystone in Oklahoma. The kids enjoyed this, but were concerned about the risk of shark attack.

Now, in Puget Sound, they are less interested. A bit cold too.

#7 ·
Some people anchor by the stern and use the spinnaker itself, by connecting the clew lines together on a soft bos'un chair and allowing the wind to lift you up off the boat and over the water.
Have a retrieving line to one of the clews in order to bring that person back aboard the boat.

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I figured I was ok, but would sure feel dumb if I lost the rig swinging a kid and hadn't asked here first.

We've been towing the kids on a tube lately, too. They really slow the boat down, but they are having fun and fun is what it's about. Before they get in the tube I always make them review the hand signals - thumbs up for faster, etc. They roll their eyes and say, "Yea, right Dad".

#14 ·
I think I tend to agree that the boat should be rigged strongly enough to support even an adults weight, however, there are some that might disagree based on this thread about hammocks on the forestay:http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/43605-hammock-my-25-sloop.html
In the above referenced thread I was concerned with what is evidently called vector pull and shock loading, causing damage to a possibly lightly rigged 25' boat.
I don't see any problem hanging from a good halyard.
I've done it for years.

Steve

#13 ·
Ahh... thanks for clarifying... I do get the feeling that your daughter would have tried to kill you had you done that. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.