Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I have 3 canvas tool bags, I picked them up at harbor freight cheap. I use one for electrical items and tools, another for plumbing items and tools and the third for stuff I use all the time, screw drivers, open end wrench and so on.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
i just use specific spaces for specific items. if all else fails, i just ask Nimfy. she usually knows where everything is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 06-21-2008
"On a Tartan 30"

BlowinSouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlowinSouth
OMG I had the same problem, I couldn't find ANYTHING.

To restate what Valenti said, I have a hand drawn diagram of the boat layout showing rough locations of lockers, cabinets, drawers etc... and I have notes saying where plumbing stuff is for instance, and electrical, tools, spares, sailing hardware etc..

For example, under the port quarter berth is electrical stuff. So on the diagram I wrote "electrical" on the port quarter berth. And I also get more specific for certain items like 'duct tape' 'hose clamps' etc... The diagram/list is always a work in progress it seems but it definitely helps.
Old 06-21-2008
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
As usual in a liveaboard boat, every cubic inch of space is full of stuff. We do have a designated safety gear locker for spotlights, horns, harnesses, flares, etc.

For my stuff, I finally picked up a bunch of bins with covers and labeled them--fasteners, tools, plumbing, electrical, paint, boat spares, engine, and of course MISC.

The food and other her-stuff is found by consulting detailed lists made by the admiral, or more likely by just asking her.
Old 06-21-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I have been thinking of putting in some type of shelving in my cockpit locker. If anyone has done this or better yet has some pictures, I would love to see them.
Old 06-21-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I find Rubbermaid makes a wide range of flat, wide lidded containers pretty well ideal for keeping moisture out and tools from flying around chafing stuff. You can keep a diagram/word log in your log book (maintenance or otherwise), or you can make that diagram "general" and then do an "exploded" diagram directly on the lid of the bin. Same goes for food stores: You can even have glass Mason jars in a plastic bin, with cardboard spacers. Put under a locking cabin sole panel, and they aren't ever going anywhere.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...at=HPCat100163

This saves time and I've found I don't stow my tools and gear according to function, but to weight: light stuff like filters and hoses and gaskets and small gauge wire goes high, and heavy stuff like wrenches, four-inch pliers, vise-grips, and spare stays go low on the centerline.

This is not entirely because I'm fanatical about trim, but because if stuff has to fall on me, I want the light stuff to travel longer distances, and the heavy stuff to go the least distance of all!
Old 06-21-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
The older I get the more I have come to realize that where to store things and what to store them in is at least as important as what you are storing. I am by no means organized, but I would like to be, and I have been trying to learn tricks that other people use. I think the most important thing is probably thinking in advance before you even bring something on board exactly what you intend to do with it, where you are going to keep it, etc, and focus on that first. Basically don't buy or acquire anything that doesn't already have a place to live, or at least start making it a place to live as soon as you buy it and before you buy anything else. I've really been trying to simplify lately. A place for everything and everything in it's place.

Please support my
Old 06-21-2008

Part of that winnowing is helped by the following analysis...it doesn't hold perfectly for engine spares as you might need something like a particular gasket or a spare injector once in a 20 year span.

1) Does this device/tool/thing serve more than one purpose? If no, then...

2) Have I used this device/tool/thing once in the last year? If no, then...

3) Is there a way by which this device/tool/thing may be replaced by something less ideal, but functional? If yes, then...

...leave it off the boat.

By this logic, I will bring circlip pliers, because they do one thing (aid impeller repair yearly) better than any replacement, and I will not bring a prop puller, because if I am careened in the tropics with a bent blade, I can fabricate a prop puller from wood blocks, three stout bolts and a rachet wrench, all of which I would carry otherwise.

The system isn't perfect, but even when casually applied, the result is a couple of hundred pounds of dubious crap taken to the dumpster. Alex would be appalled that I would have said crap in the first place, but he objects to the weight of a dodger...we operate in different spheres, it would seem, but he would appreciate the "wine cellar"
Old 06-21-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
If you went through my boat you might find it hard to believe I've given the seminar "Painless Organization on Board" to hundreds of people for Sail America. There is someone who attended the seminar several years ago and wrote a book that included most of my seminar! She was at least nice enough to tell me she did this after the book was published. No, I don't get paid for the seminars but I do have a 90 minute power point presentation! Here are a few ideas people seem to love. If you go to the dollar store you can buy some inexpensive see through containers with lids. Buy several. They stack well. Now, even the lids that clamp down never stay on. Not when you're standing on your head and pulling boxes up out of a deep locker.So make small holes on each side of the box-take a shock cord- put the hook into one hole-shock cord goes across the top and the other hook goes into the hole on the other side. This holds the lid down tight. Label whats in the box on the ends or sides so you can read it when they are stacked in the lockers. Again at the dollar store buy several of the small tackle boxes in different colors. One can hold electrical "stuff" and the other plumbing and the other spare parts. I believe in the two tool box approach. The big tool box you use when you're at anchor or at the dock. This is the project tool box. Then there is the smaller tool box or tool pouch that is easy to get to. In this one you have the "get it quick" tools. All adhesives go in a plastic container with a lid. In the drawers by the companionway I use small plastic click together boxes. They are a great way to sort items you use frequently. In one I keep a roll of ones and fives for pump out money and tip money. I also use a plastic ice tray in that same drawer for small items that otherwise get lost. Mesh bags are great for storing extra line. Go to a SCUBA diving shop. They have a great selection of sizes AND they come in colors! They are made for a marine environment so they hold up well. I love the canvas rigging bags but this time of the year you can go to Target and buy a similar bag-smaller in the gardening department for a lot less. They have multiple pockets and again, hold up really well. I use one of these for my boat sewing supplies. Just a few ideas.

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37
Old 06-23-2008

Wow...great minds. I have three plastic tackle boxes, one plumbing, one "electrical and electrical tape" (solder and flux, cable ties, crimps), and one "rigging and sewing" with a palm, needles, waxed thread, some Velcro, and a big supply of cotter pins and rings, clevis pins, and other bits and pieces associated with sail repair.