Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009

rotbear1956 is on a distinguished road
Hi RobVG

I just inherited a sportyak II sailboat model II C. I have never sailed but I have the boat(light turquois top and white bottom) so I thought I would give it a try. Just by looking at the two pictures that you had I have a rough idea of how to rig the sail. HOWEVER I could not see exactly how the sail (booms?) attatch to the mast, and I think that I am missing a part of the mast. I have the oars and the rudder oar, and the two booms, and the top of the mast with the small pulley. The boat itself looks just like yours with the short mast pipe sitting in a rubber collar in the front seat. Of coarse mine needs a whole lot of TLC to the wooden parts, as all of the varnish has mostly pealed off. I would greatly appreciate your help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2010

knikula is on a distinguished road
I have a SportyakII, but mine doesn't have the sailkit. My dad bought the orange boat at a rummage years ago, and after he passed away, I ended up with it. I'd like to try to make a sailkit, just to see what this "sailing" thing is all about.

The boat saved my dog's life (yellow lab) about 6 years ago, when he ran out onto thin ice on my pond and broke though. I was able to push the boat onto the ice, and use it like an icebreaker, and get to him. That could have been really bad, if I didn't have the boat handy. As it was, I had to drag it about 50 yards to the pond.

I use a kayak paddle to get around the pond, and my 3 year old granddaughter loves to ride in the boat...hard to get her out of it.

Thanks for posting the pictures above, gives me something to work from...
Old 06-07-2010

RobVG is on a distinguished road
Wow! It's great to see other Sportyak owners coming out of the woodwork.

Since there's some interest, I'll try to post some more detailed pictures of mine, as soon as I get it out of storage.

It's still Winter in Seattle...
Old 05-11-2012

kolling is on a distinguished road
Re: Sail kit

Hi
Great photos, thanks!
Is there any chance of taking a more detailed close up photo of the mechanism or the way that the outriggers are attached to the Gunnels?
Thanks in advance
Mike
mike.kolling@gmail.com
Old 05-11-2012

Southron Spirit is on a distinguished road
Re: SportYak II Sailboat

we had a sport yak as kids ,you could not hurt that thing.
we ran small rapids on the delaware river in calicoon n.y with it .
and 3 of us teenage boys took it over a 3 ft water fall at north lake state park in ny.

would still have it if someone had not stolen it at a state park on long island.
Old 05-15-2012

RobVG is on a distinguished road

I'd be happy to take more pictures Mike. Last year I ran across the instructions from 1968 on how to rig the sail and assemble the mounts. It has some very good illustrations. It might be all you need. Unfortunately, It looks like we can't upload pdf files here. I'll have to try to find the website.
Old 05-27-2012

stereovox is on a distinguished road
SportYak II Sailboat

Does anyone know where can I buy a sail kit for the sportjak or where can I get plan to build it myself (unfortunately I am not able to see any pics or links on this blog since I am a newbie)
I would be thankful for any input of yours
Cheers
Stereovox
Old 04-10-2013

Dtyronn is on a distinguished road

Hey Rob,
I'm new to the forum but I too have a Sportyak. Unfortunately it sat out in the sun too long and now has multiple cracks running along the bottom. How would you suggest repairing them? Will fiberglass bond to it or is there an alternate way like using that FlexySeal spray? Thanks
Old 07-14-2014

Autokart1 is on a distinguished road

I am a little late in running across this thread but I also remember sailing a 1970's bright orange Sportyak with a factory sail kit as described in the other posts. I have a similar green and white model currently but do not have the sail kit.

There are two companies that still produce the Sport yaks. The older sportyak I tooling was purchased by Bic (The pen company) under their bic Boats division. These boats only have one molded seat and are very "rounded" looking in style. Search google for bic boats.

The newer Sportyak II (slightly squared off with two molded seats) tooling is owned by KL industries and is produced under their sun dolphin line. Search Google for KL Industries and go to their Dinghies section.

When Kl revised the tooling they did away with the mast socket for the sail kit and they do not offer any kits either.

Hopefully this info is useful to someone,

Bill
Old 07-17-2014

1970sportyak is on a distinguished road

Just cleaned up my Dad's old 1970 Sportyak II (mint green!) after 30+ years of non use. It's in pretty great condition and am hoping to get my boys out on it after I replace the white rub rail. Letting them row around will probably enough fun for them, but I'd also love to find or build a sail kit. I know Dayton, Bic and KLI don't make them anymore and found nothing on ebay or craigslist. Any specs or close up pics of your sail kits would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.