Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Sunday morning and the USCG

I want the record to clearly state that I whole heartedly applaud the efforts and sacrifice of our Coasties. I truly do. Now the story:

I went out to work on my boat this morning, a beautiful morning in Casco Bay. I had a few jobs I wanted to tackle, while sipping some coffee and listening to some tunes. Then I was planning on logging a few single handed miles before the fog and rain came (and came it did!)

About an hour into my morning tasks, the USCG came charging into the mooring field in this really friggin' cool boat:

Only they had mounted the HUGE gun and turret in the bow.

The crew of five came off plane and cruised a serpentine route through the field, heading back out into the bay, then turned back in and headed straight for me. I was in the cockpit stripping some wire for a little electrical work.

"Good morning, sir! Have you ever been boarded by the USCG?"

You know what happened next...

They found my stash and I went to jail.

No just kidding, they didn't find the stash, but they did spend 45+ minutes walking around my boat in their black boots and writing up citations for such things as a missing garbage placard.

The entire event was quite friendly and included happy chit-chat with junior officers.

However, this whole thing cost me my sailing for the day. (I had to answer my cell after some of my friends witnessed the boarding from land!)

I know they have the right to do it and I know it's good to check boats and make sure they are safe. e.g., my flares were in good working order but out of date. But, while the boats at its home mooring? I kinda felt like the police pulled into my driveway while I was washing my car and asked me for my license and registration.

Maybe there are some USCG personnel on SN that will weigh in on this. Again, I have no problem with being boarded, it just seemed a little harsh doing it on my own mooring an a nice Sunday morning.

Just thought I'd share my feelings. Thanks for the couch!!!
Old 06-22-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Bummer....Moral to story... Everyone Duck if you see them comming first...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
whine...whine... whine... want some cheese with that...

One big difference is that your boat can sink at its home mooring... you car probably won't have any issues in the driveway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
whine...whine... whine... want some cheese with that...

One big difference is that your boat can sink at its home mooring... you car probably won't have any issues in the driveway.
Can you bring some crackers, too?

It's true that my boat can sink at it's mooring, but don't I have to deal with that if it happens? With that logic, my insurance company should be able to send a rep to check the batteries on my smoke alarms - on a Sunday morning.
Old 06-22-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
It has happen to us in our slip at our marina! About once a year the Coast Guard pulls into the marina and inspects any boat that is occupied. We are Located north of New York city! I think it a B. P. M. thing! (boarding per month)
Old 06-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You do if you're sitting on the boat when it happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdavis View Post
Can you bring some crackers, too?

It's true that my boat can sink at it's mooring, but don't I have to deal with that if it happens? With that logic, my insurance company should be able to send a rep to check the batteries on my smoke alarms - on a Sunday morning.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-22-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I had a similar thing happen to me this past Memorial day. We were sailing from Mt. Sinai to Milford, Ct (about 18 nm). When we were about half way there I was below making lunch for my wife and 3 kids. The autopilot was steering, my wife was keeping watch. She called me on deck because a power boat was coming right at us. I look, and it was a similar boat to the one in your picture. I looked at the radio, and it was on 17 instead of 16. So I switch to 16 and hail them. They pulled along side, about 50' away and asked a number of questions, looked us over, wished us well, and left.

About 30 minutes later we heard them hail a powerboat. He must not have answered the questions correctly because they boarded him. About 15 minutes later the CG left, but had to go back because they left a backpack on the power boat!

Barry

Old 06-22-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Do tell??

Do tell? What did they get you for and how much were the fines???

Did they check to see if your overboard discharge seacock for the head was closed and "locked"? I've been told they are really cracking down on the valve being locked with the new NDZ for Casco Bay?

BTW you had sun on your side of the bay today?? We were socked in from about 8:00 am on...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-22-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Being down in South Texas, I've been boarded by the CG in the Laguna Madre (great guys, spent a lot of time on board and were very polite - laughed when it told them that Paloma was probably older than they were) and by the border patrol in Puerto Isabella at a boat yard (great guys as well, doing a truly thankless job and doing it damn well).
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 06-22-2008

not too bad

They got me for not having the garbage placard, outdated flares, and embarrassingly enough, not having my documentation numbers permanently attached to the boat. I knew that was coming as soon as he asked if I'd ever been boarded before (sinking feeling.)

Somehow the PO never attached them - he had the boat documented as well, I just transfered the documentation. The boat is new to me last fall; come this spring, I realized that I had never seen the numbers anywhere and I had seen everywhere by then. I asked him and he didn't know.....

It's been on my list.

He did indeed check the discharge. The seacock was closed but the Y-valve was not locked. He said I needed to at least put a zip-tie on it, so I put one on right in front of him. Good enough for him!

They will contact me within 30 days. If I show receipt of these things I should avoid fines. He say he couldn't guarantee that I'd get off scot-free, but he'd put in the report how cooperative I was.

And yes, Halekai, it was sunny until around 1:00. The bank just hung off from Portland in a radius from the Headlight - bisecting Peaks and Little Diamond and heading towards Tukey's Bridge. Maybe the heat from the "big city" keeps it at bay??? I see it like that fairly often...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.