Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I've seen all kinds of creative things out of old sails, like you mentioned, a sunshades, also, laundry bags, hatch board covers, dink covers, I know one guy that recut his old sail for use on his sailing dink.

There's lots of life in old sails, limited only to your imagination and sewing skills,

hell, boardshorts would be cool

Forgot this one, a buddy down the dock made a Windshoot for his forward hatch out of an old drifter

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 06-23-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2008
"On a Tartan 30"

BlowinSouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlowinSouth
I was just over at a friends house, he has his boat on a mooring right behind me. And his living room wall is decorated with an old sail. It's a working jib and he (glued?) it to the wall and (varnished?) over it and it looks really cool. It very nicely done. It starts at the floor and bends on to the ceiling.

It's one of the coolest nautical decorations that I've seen. It fits the rest of his decor too. It's a little seaside cottage in Connecticut. Very cool. Just another idea of what to do with old sails.
Old 06-23-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I was at the Seattle Boat Show a couple years ago and came upon a booth showcasing bags made from recycled sails of all kinds. They were mostly targeting women as the bags looked quite stylish with various designs for shoulder bags or gym style bags or clothing bags. They were done using different colors and fabrics of sails to give them a more professional and nautical appearance. I had to compliment them and tell them how nice they looked then said good thing my wife is not here or she would buy one or two! They said I should buy her one but I noticed their pricing was quite a deterrant. So I bid them good day and kept my money but I have to say they looked pretty good and it was a creative way to recycle sails.
Old 07-04-2008

captainrank is on a distinguished road
There is a place in Door County Wisconsin called Hands On Art. They have used old sails as sun screens as you suggest. Check them out on the web. You may be able to see a picture of the sails in use.
Old 07-04-2008

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
Seabags is probably the company you're referring to that makes ladies handbags. My wife's bought a couple. I'd have made her some and saved a bunch of money if I had access to old sailcloth!

They do very nice work, but they're pricey!

Steve
Old 07-07-2008

kengoodings is on a distinguished road
Donate them for Africa!

There are some organizations that accept old sails then send them to Africa, Central America and other impoverished areas for use as shelter or by fishermen on their boats.

Not sure what there is in your area, but our Club here in Toronto promotes it... Good luck!
Old 07-07-2008

cberger is on a distinguished road
Beat the heat

What to do with an old sail?-img_9966_1_2_1.jpg
I used my old main for a sun shade on the patio and whenver a sailor comes to enjoy our shade, I end up with another spare sail. They only last about 10 months in the Neveda sun but I have three replacements in the garage waiting their turn.
Old 07-07-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cberger View Post
Attachment 1915
I used my old main for a sun shade on the patio and whenver a sailor comes to enjoy our shade, I end up with another spare sail. They only last about 10 months in the Neveda sun but I have three replacements in the garage waiting their turn.
That's an awesome patio!
Old 07-07-2008

healthinfo is on a distinguished road
Smile Get creative

Depending on how good you are as a tailor or with a sewing machine, cut the old sail up and make a jacket, a vest, or even make carrying bags like the canvas totes that sell for $$$ to give as Christmas presents to both sailing and non-sailing friends.