Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I have a Mermaid 16,500 btu unit installed on my Gemini, works fine with a Honda 2000 generator which is next on my list of have to haves.
Come July, I don't even do boat maintenance without it running on shore power so I have somewhere to duck into and cool off.
We need to talk! I have the Honda 2000 and the Mermaid Marine Air 12,000 BTU unit and I was under the impression that running the A/C "at sea" (off shore power) was impossible due to the approximately 18 amp "kick in" current at the A/C "start-run" sequence. (I am aware that the March pump and the condenser motor use a lot less while in use).

Basically, if you have the larger unit and the Honda 2000 can cope with that draw at start-up (I assume you have some sort of 15 amp-30 amp connector ideally at 12 gauge or better), then I could have A/C at anchor.

A related question involves my as-yet uninstalled Xantrex RS2000 inverter...heinous as it sounds, running A/C off battery if I was feeding wind and solar in at anchor would be even nicer...

I was considering chucking the A/C as a space-waster before we head out passagmaking, but if you say the Honda can kick-start it, that would be worth getting a better set of rubber feet for the thing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2008
fringe dweller

AntonR is on a distinguished road
I am not an AC user aboard or ashore. Living in a refrigerator environment and then working in midsummer heat is like sure death, for me, at least. I think it's healthier for the body to adjust to the season. With a box fan pulling air out the forward hatch, and a second fan blowing on me I'm comfortable in all but the hottest windless summer, and then it's swimming time.
Old 06-24-2008
Rail Meat

JewelledJester is on a distinguished road
As a HVAC tech by trade, I think that gutting a window unit and relocating components would not work. The units have styrofoam ducting to direct air accordingly. If you cut out the condensor and relocate if then you would have to know how much freon to add according to lineset length. A better setup would be a complete condensing unit and a small evap coil with fans installed. Small enough, but air cooled won't ever cool like a water cooled on a hot day.
Old 06-24-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowinSouth View Post
I'm not talking about mounting a window unit, I'm talking about taking it apart and installing the componets below decks and venting it into the cabin, and exhausting it overboard. (pay attention TS sheesh)
Hey, give me a break, I'm really old and had too much salt air this weekend. Actually I was responding to astraeus who did install a window unit in the companionway. Pay attention. Ha Ha Ha!
Old 06-24-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
If this is the boat you are going to keep for years to come, spend the $1,500 and put in a proper marine unit. About 10 years ago, I installed a 12K BTU MarineAire unit on Paloma. Pulled the water from a T-pipe I put on the engine water inlet, put the pump under the starboard couch and the unit in the hanging locker with vents blowing into the V-berth and the main salon. What a difference, from the window unit I had in the companioway. Even on the Gulf Coast on a 100 degree day and 100% humidity, whithin an hour, you have to move the thermostat down to about 50%. I also have padded hatch and companionway covers. - they help keep the heat out as well.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 06-24-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
This was a pretty big subject about a year ago and I strongly suggested that anyone using a generator have a Carbon Monoxide detector in the cabin. It's critical!

Remember . . . . . . . red is dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 06-24-2008
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
I checked into it and after pricing all the components need to mount a window unit into the settee and run a forced air vent system though ducts to the settee and back out would be about $350 extra plus the A/C from home depot. thats with out taking apart the A/C and making it drain into the bilge.

A buddy of mine had a simliar setup on his boat and I will say after you've done the main work it makes it real easy to fix and maintain. For less then it would cost to get a repair man out when your A/C goes on the frits you go to wally world and buy another A/C. Heck for $100 you can get a digital one that can be programed to come on for a few hours a day and keep your boat a lot less humid.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 06-24-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Ok, who is going to post the plans on how to do this?????
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Columbus did not have AC. The Spanish Galleons did not have AC. Back when Camaraderie was sailing his viking ships across to the new world, he did not have AC.

But if you are going to be in a marina south of the Mason-Dixon line in summer, you are one tough dude(ette) if you do not havre AC. This is especially true when it rains b/c you have to shut down the boat and it will peel the skin off your body lake a sauna. When anchored, it is not quite as bad... except when it rains.

Don't forget, you need a generator too if you are away from the dock.

My opinions, from someone who has lived aboard in FL and Texas... etc.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Please note that CD doesn't mention the fact that he has AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Columbus did not have AC. The Spanish Galleons did not have AC. Back when Camaraderie was sailing his viking ships across to the new world, he did not have AC.

But if you are going to be in a marina south of the Mason-Dixon line in summer, you are one tough dude(ette) if you do not havre AC. This is especially true when it rains b/c you have to shut down the boat and it will peel the skin off your body lake a sauna. When anchored, it is not quite as bad... except when it rains.

Don't forget, you need a generator too if you are away from the dock.

My opinions, from someone who has lived aboard in FL and Texas... etc.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.