Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Please note that CD doesn't mention the fact that he has AC.

Of course he has AC . . . he lives in Texas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Please note that CD doesn't mention the fact that he has AC.
I do not have AC, I have AC's.... two of them. And a generator. And I am PROUD of it and don't mind running them (especailly when it is hot outside in a crowded anchorage and everyone aroune me is dying of sweat).

HEHE!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-24-2008

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
running A/C off battery if I was feeding wind and solar...
A/C takes a LOT of electricity! Unless you have a large catamaran completely covered in solar panels, or a dozen or so windmills, you are not going to come even CLOSE to generating enough electricity on your own.

Anyway, sounds like the consensus is that when we move to Florida we are definitely going to want A/C in our boat!
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CD has enough solar panel coverage on his boat to power Houston at night.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-25-2008

deryk is on a distinguished road
Im really torn about this. I Live aboard in central NJ and just moved up from a Watkins 27 to a Morgan 34. On the Watkins I had a 8000 watt a/c unit from home depot for a $150.00 With a Timer!!! (lol) Well trying to decide between a Cruiseair 6700 watt hatch unit and a larger sized true marine a/c unit. I would have to fit a 14x20x14 box in the boat somewhere... preferably on the starboard side because it would be easier to hide the insulated duct and vent it. Thought about a box right before the v birth not sure how close space would be.

I guess I could go with the cruiseair and if its not enough sell it and do the marine a/c unit.
Old 07-13-2008

Twoowls is on a distinguished road
Have an original Aqua-therm. Does anyone know where I can get replacement parts? Please don't laugh too hard.
Old 07-17-2008

sonofasailorsailing is on a distinguished road
AC on our boat

In 2006, I purchased a Mermaid 9000BTU unit on Ebay for $300.00. This was a new unit, not used. I was very lucky. I got the installation kit from West Marine for $150.00 (about half price) because they were on close out. I instlled it myself following their excellent instructions (almost "Marine AC for Dummies!) This has been the most productive thing we have done. We live in the Florida panhandle and it get hot here! This has extended our livability an additional five or six months. I now have a 3000 watt gas generator hat I can use at anchor.

We have a 33' Glander Tavana. This boat has absolutely no insulation in her decks, so this unit does alot of running. We are going to put a soaker hose on the deck when in port and run that during the day. It should help. We put throwable cushions on the hatches to insulate them.

A friend of our was so impressed with our unit, he bought a Mermaid 12000BTU unit for his Catalina 310. His boat is better insulated and the unit runs great. He has been sick for quite a while and cannot take the heat. It has extended his boat time to year round. A cople of weeks age, he took his family out (eight i all) and borrowed a Honda 2000 generator. They were quite comfortable and the Honda worked flawlessly.
Old 07-17-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
best thing

The best thing I can think of for a/c is no mosquitoes, deer flies Nat's, noseeum's or anything else that wants to make a meal of you at 2:00 in the morning.
Old 07-17-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Im really torn about this. I Live aboard in central NJ and just moved up from a Watkins 27 to a Morgan 34. On the Watkins I had a 8000 watt a/c unit from home depot for a $150.00 With a Timer!!! (lol) Well trying to decide between a Cruiseair 6700 watt hatch unit and a larger sized true marine a/c unit. I would have to fit a 14x20x14 box in the boat somewhere... preferably on the starboard side because it would be easier to hide the insulated duct and vent it. Thought about a box right before the v birth not sure how close space would be.

I guess I could go with the cruiseair and if its not enough sell it and do the marine a/c unit.
My boat is on the central NJ coast and we have a 16,000 btu Cruiseair system. I wouldn't be without it. Although it's nothing like the Chesapeake it can get a bit hot if the breeze dies. It has the added benefit of keeping out the green monsters and the occasional dock noise.
Old 07-17-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by funsailthekeys View Post
The best thing I can think of for a/c is no mosquitoes, deer flies Nat's, noseeum's or anything else that wants to make a meal of you at 2:00 in the morning.
There are mosquitos and no-seeums in Florida?? You sure?? I thought that was a myth! (smile).

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: