Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Air Conditioning

For those of you who live in Florida and/or the deep South, do you consider air conditioning on your boat to be a "must have," "nice to have," "not necessary"?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
In William F. Buckley's book "Atlantic High" he writes "Have air conditioning or die".

If you don't mind the electric bill AC can keep the humidity out and that's always good.

I'd put it in the "Nice to have" category.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 06-23-2008
"On a Tartan 30"

BlowinSouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlowinSouth
When it comes time for me to put in AC I've always wanted to try and retrofit a window unit AC. I mean take it apart and install the compents under a settee or v-berth etc... it would have to be air cooled so the compartment would have to be vented but i really don't see why this wouldn't work.

Marine AC units are $1500-2000 (and up) and a window unit from Home Depot is $150, it's worth a try. Even if i only get 2 seasons out of it I can afford to replace it every couple of years.

I want to try this with refrgeration too. Take apart a little dorm style fridge and do the same thing in the ice box.

As far as your question, I don't think AC is a vital but it is definitely a comfortable addition. I guess it depends on where you are, South Texas, Galveston, Corpus Christie, etc... then it is DEFINITELY have AC or die. Seriously.
Old 06-23-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Got it as the PO had it onboard. Had 2 compressors and zones - 1 for fwd cabin and salon, 2nd for aft quarter cabin and galley/nav area at aft end of salon. I removed the 2nd because: more pumps,wires, hoses, more elec usage, big use of interior space. I view it as nice to have in the high temp and humidity when at a dock and as it's reverse cycle, it can throw decent warmth below decks until the water outside gets into the 30's and 40's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 06-23-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowinSouth View Post
When it comes time for me to put in AC I've always wanted to try and retrofit a window unit AC. I mean take it apart and install the compents under a settee or v-berth etc... it would have to be air cooled so the compartment would have to be vented but i really don't see why this wouldn't work.

Marine AC units are $1500-2000 (and up) and a window unit from Home Depot is $150, it's worth a try. Even if i only get 2 seasons out of it I can afford to replace it every couple of years.
Is there any way to marinize, or partially marinize, a window unit?
Old 06-23-2008
SailGunner

cesarid is on a distinguished road
Heavy

Window units work fine except you have to lug them aroung and crawl over them if you put it in the companion way. I had a lug-a-ble (Cruisair) and a window unit until I put in central air. One of the best decisions I ever made.
If you are at the dock for any nights in Florida or other hot climate - central air is very nice.
Old 06-23-2008

vabuckeye will become famous soon enough vabuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Is there any way to marinize, or partially marinize, a window unit?
The problems I see with this is the condensate, blower, and the outdoor air requirements for the condenser.

The condensate drains off the evaporator coil and travels along the bottom pan and then drains out through the holes in the back. Some units also have a slinger ring that slings the water onto the condenser coil to aid in the removal of heat off the coil. Could get messy.

Most units only have one dual shaft blower that the evaporator fan blades and condenser fan blades are attached too. New motors would have to be added to separate the evaporator from the condenser.

There will also have to be an air intake separate from the air discharge of the evaporator and condenser coil.

I am not saying it cannot be done, it just seems like a tremendous amount of work for something that already comes in a nice, compact package.

Jim
Old 06-23-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Jim,
I see your point... Thanks for taking the time, Cap'n! Appreciate it very much.
Old 06-23-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Marinize?

Hog . . . I think you've coined a new term. Dictionary.com doesn't know it.

Marinized or not. You can get a 5000 BTU for $99 at Home Depot. It's worth a shot.

I've seen several boats with RV style AC units over hatches. If you don't care about beauty they're cheaper than marine units . . . and no "Thru hulls"!

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 06-23-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I sail in the mid -Atlantic area and consider air conditioning a must have. I just can't sleep in the heat and humidity you get around here.