SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fiberglassing Over Hull Deck joint?

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  downeast450 
#1 ·
I'm refitting a 78 Pacific Seacraft 25. The hull deck joint looked like it had leaked in the past so I took the caprail up (In a million pieces) to inspect the joint. I've been thinking of just filling the outer edge of the joint with thickened epoxy to make the whole thing level, then laying a few layers of glass cloth over the joint. When I'm done I'll just finish the joint nicely and leave it fiberglass. Then I'll take a 1x4 piece of teak and mount it to the outside of my stanchions about a 1/2 inch off the deck for drainage and a bulwork rail to stand against when heeled. This will eliminate the 100 screw holes holding the old caprail down, and hopefully all leaks. Hal Roth wrote about this in a book of his. He did it to one of his boats. Any opinons before I commit to this project?

#2 ·
I read that same book and have been drooling to do this to my toerail ever since. I think it is an excellent idea and his cruising tens of thousands of miles proves its seaworthiness and water tightness. Of course, all the standard quality glass work must apply, but the idea is excellent. I'm right there with you, can't wait to do it myself. Good luck.

#3 ·
Might want to make sure that you get the thickened epoxy well into the joint. Those 100 screw holes are for bolts that are providing a major part of the strength of the hull-deck joint. Glassing over the join will do a good job of sealing it, but if the join isn't epoxied together, the loads on it might be a problem. :) Ideally, you should fiberglass over the interior of the hull-deck join as well.

#4 ·
Bolted

Thanks, I was thinking of that (screw holes). There are also countersunk bolts about every 6 inches, I was just going to glass over them also. I could glass over the interior flange as well I guess. Thanks Brandon

#5 ·
Hey - just joined and this is a shout out to Snider, since I can't send a personal message yet. I'm purchasing a PS25 sloop. She's coming out of the water for a refit. Been idle for 2 years! But has been rode hard. I'm blazer6btf at verizon dot net. I could use all the info/advice you can find time to send me or to point my nose in the right direction. Be more than happy to share my upcoming travails (and enjoyment) with you. Thanks! Brian

#6 ·
Snider,

It sounds like you have a good solution. I did a hull deck joint job on a much less robust boat several years ago. I did it from the inside but had the interior removed already. The Rhodes 22 is a scaled up dinghy with a flared hull at the deck joint, a feature I like very much on that small boat. Very dry. My solution was to apply a layer of 12 oz biaxial S glass with West epoxy. I used a 6" wide belt and then refastened the two mechanically from the outside through the new glass. That boat was barely joined there in the first place. I was horrified when I gutted it to discover the seeming random fastening job. I remember reading of a hazard these small sailboats can suffer if they are being towed in heavy weather. It is possible to pull the deck off!

You have a very nice boat for a project. Best of luck! Enjoy!

Down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.