Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008
"On a Tartan 30"

BlowinSouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlowinSouth
How to waterproof Sunbrella??

Is there anyway to waterproof sunbrella? The rain pools right in the center of my dodger and it drips right down the companionway. I have to put in the boards and close the hatch.

I have used Scotch Guard before on other things and it works well for a very short time. Is there something else that might work? Paint it with varnish? Inflatable dinghy paint? or ??? etc... Not that I want to 'paint' it, I want something that will waterproof it and still be invisible.

Thanks,

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You should probably use 303 Fabric Guard. It will help, but you really need to modify the dodger so it doesn't have a low spot there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-24-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
This information sheet specificially states to avoid silicone based products on sunbrella. It looks like the product that sailingdog recommended does not have silicone in it. Our local canvas maker sells a product in a quart bottle that you brush on that restores the "water beading" quality to sunbrella. I've had good luck in the past with a boatlife product as well.

Waterproofing Canvas by Don Casey
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Erps-

303 High Tech Fabric Guard is what Sunbrella's makers recommend for use on Sunbrella.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-24-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I can believe that. I didn't say otherwise.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-24-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Does the water seep through the fabric or is it simply that the dodger has a low spot that drains off the edge? If the later then try tightening the dodger as SD suggested. If it's coming through the material then waterproofing sprays will help but will be a short term fix only. Before I replaced my bimini I had that problem and tried a few sprays but none lasted longer than about a month.
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

I was just clarifying why I was recommending it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I can believe that. I didn't say otherwise.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-24-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
BlowinSouth,

If you find the 303 for a reasonable price, post it here please. That stuff is expensive....and it does work!
It needs to be reapplied during the season, and your pooling problem needs to be fixed or you will be throwing away money.
Old 06-24-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I've had good luck with this product: PTEF

Not sure how the price compares.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-24-2008
"On a Tartan 30"

BlowinSouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlowinSouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Does the water seep through the fabric or is it simply that the dodger has a low spot that drains off the edge? If the later then try tightening the dodger as SD suggested. If it's coming through the material then waterproofing sprays will help but will be a short term fix only. Before I replaced my bimini I had that problem and tried a few sprays but none lasted longer than about a month.
Yes, the water seeps through the fabric. The problem is that the dodger is old and as I tightenen it up to eliminate the low spot (pooling) it starts popping seams elsewhere.

I need a new dodger obviously but would like to get another season out of this one if possible. The 303 stuff sounds like a good start.