Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008

jayseadee is on a distinguished road
Head Sail Leach Cover Thumping

When I am close hauled my head sail starts thumping, it is very irritating. I have tried moving the jib car forward and aft to no avail. What should I do?, more tension on the jib halyard?

Seems like it is the canvas UV leach cover that is thumping.

Please help

John Dinsmoor
Jay Sea Dee IP485-15
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Fall off a few degrees. I had a Genoa disintegrate after the Sunbrella unraveled in a Gale. Sailing too close (pinching) with an older, semi blown out sail will cause it to pump. As far as Jib halyard tension goes, I always have my Jib at max tension. Look at the wrinkles in the sail's corners to determine halyard and sheet tension. If the Tack area has any bow to it at the pulpit, increase the tension. If the wrinkles are at the Head, ease it a bit. I found that having the car forward and sheeting in tight allows a higher course but produces less power. Moving the car forward and sheeting in hard reduces twist as well. If the Sunbrella cover is loose and shot, it'll cost about $400 or so to have it replaced with Dacron stick-on IF, you removed the old fabric. If ya do, be extra careful to cut every stitch separately.

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 06-27-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Jayseadee,

It's difficult to say what is causing the "thumping", especially since you are unsure what part of the sail the noise is coming from. It could be coming from, as you suspect, the the leech of the sail, but in my experience that sort of noise is more often described as a "fluttering".

Does your sail have an adjustable leechline? Have you tried adjusting the tension on it? Most genoa leech lines will need to be adjusted depending on the wind speed and point of sale, generally needing more tension for higher wind and higher points of sale and less tension for less wind and lower points of sale.

If it's not the leechline tension, it could be as Charlie suggested that the UV cover is coming unstitched and flogging in the wind. But this seems unlikely given the recent vintage of your boat, and in any case ought to be fairly apparent visually.

The worst case scenario is that the sail needs to be recut, but that seems very unlikely, particularly if these are OEM sails from IP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT