Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Solo sailor: 'I won't leave stricken yacht'

Interesting story. Note that conditions have been rough over last 2 days. We had gusts up to 40kts last night and the current forecast is 20/30 knots with Squalls to 40 knots.

Why you would set off a distress & then refuse to leave your boat

Ilenart

Solo sailor: 'I won't leave stricken yacht' | PerthNow
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2008
Honey-Do II

HoneyDoII is on a distinguished road
My guess would be confusion and insecurity. He may be looking at his lifes savings in that boat. Maybe he's hoping for a tow but he's a long way out for a tow in bad weather.
Old 06-28-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ilenart...Thanks..interesting story...I can only guess that with conditions moderating he decided he could mange without a rescue. OTOH...once you push that EPIRB you put others at risk and cause great expenditure of public funds and not accepting the rescue is just wrong.
I've read of stories where Epirbs were pushed due to CREW demands and the captain was not willing to be evacuated...but to be single handed and pushing the EPIRB ...then refusing, I've never heard of.
Old 06-28-2008

Kevin, I think you are right, probably the guys life savings in the boat. Still, I agree with Cam, once you push the button you should leave the boat when the rescue arrives.

Tonight we have strong westerly winds which means any rescue boat would be trying to motor straight into a 20-40kt headwind. Probably why they gave up the rescue attempt today.

The forecast tomorrow is improving so I guess the rescue services will go out and tow the guy in tomorrow.

Ilenart
Old 06-28-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
911 operators deal with similar matters all the time. Partially it is the fault of law enforcement themselves in not adequately publishing their telephone numbers for non-emergency services. Of course, in my small town, any after hours call goes directly to 911 as it obviates the need for manning the office after-hours and the rest of the county pays for the call via their 911 tax. Hmmm.

As seen here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...rts-false.html most EPIRB signals are false. One might wonder that EPIRB's are not equipped with a function more like a PAN signal as well as a MAYDAY signal. I hardly think that the technology would be a hinderence to having pre-loaded signals of a PAN nature within the EPIRB. In the case above, perhaps a pre-coded signal that things are pretty bad out here, please monitor for further possible signals.

Surely such technology would be preferable to the scrambling of aircraft and rescue vessels we now have with all the false signals.

One can understand the conditions that might lead the solo sailor to punch the "panic button". If you don't, you probably haven't been far offshore for long enough. But, of course, conditions do change and what was previously thought to be life-threatening may have either become more endurable or have moderated. There is a certain amount of logic in the Pardeys refusal to carry an EPIRB. It presupposes the full and complete knowledge of how and where they intend to sail and the conditions expected to be encountered. In essense they are saying that, we are doing a somewhat foolish and dangerous journey that is wholly discretionary on our part and, while it's not our intent to die, we do not feel it appropriate for others to risk their lives for what we have fully evaluated prior to embarkation. I'd say that's a level of maturity, if not courage, that few of us possess. It bespeaks the knowledge that, in extremis, you're going to punch the button.

One would hope that a middle option might soon be more available.
Old 06-28-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
One can understand the conditions that might lead the solo sailor to punch the "panic button". If you don't, you probably haven't been far offshore for long enough. But, of course, conditions do change and what was previously thought to be life-threatening may have either become more endurable or have moderated. There is a certain amount of logic in the Pardeys refusal to carry an EPIRB. It presupposes the full and complete knowledge of how and where they intend to sail and the conditions expected to be encountered. In essense they are saying that, we are doing a somewhat foolish and dangerous journey that is wholly discretionary on our part and, while it's not our intent to die, we do not feel it appropriate for others to risk their lives for what we have fully evaluated prior to embarkation. I'd say that's a level of maturity, if not courage, that few of us possess. It bespeaks the knowledge that, in extremis, you're going to punch the button.
I think the Pardey's position when it comes to EPIRB's makes good sense, but I would still want an EPIRB. I totally agree with the Pardey's as far as dangerous storms - if you have to use the EPIRB in a storm then conditions are probably too bad for a safe rescue, and your life isn't any more valuable than the rescuers. But what if you slam into a tree floating just beneath the surface and hole the boat's hull ? You end up in a liferaft, then yeah, I'd want an EPIRB ... it's not putting anyone's life in any huge danger to come out and pick me up at their leisure, just direct the next passing boat in my direction.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2008

Update

They lost contact with the vessel over the weekend and an air and sea search is now underway to locate him.

My guess is the guy does not have either a HF radio or a satelite phone. If he had either he could of been in contact with the authorities all weekend as he slowly drifts in. However as know one has heard anything since Saturday they are having to presume the worst and the search is on.

Afraid this incident is giving sailors a bad name.

Ilenart

Search continues for stricken yacht off Perth - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old 06-29-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Never having been in this situation and being a committed coward I cannot vouch for my behaviour come the dire moment but I'd like to think that the only time I'd set off an epirb, particularly when out of sight of land, would be from a life raft.

Within sight of land, engineless and unable to sail myself out of trouble then sure if it looked like there was nothing but the rocks to look forward too.

(edit - in fact the second bit should really be able to be sorted out on the radio and if you are out of radio range and drifting onto rocks all the epirb is going to do is tell them where to find your corpse.)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 06-29-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2008

Yacht Located

Good that the bloke's safe. Be interesting to watch the news tonight. I think there will be some interesting questions asked

Ilenart

Stricken yacht to be towed to shore | PerthNow
Old 06-30-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Andaman News TV11 Phuket
Nov 26 2006

"After about three weeks floating in the open sea, a 52 year old Australian yachtsman, Rocky Donald, was rescued and brought safely ashore in Phuket by the Phuket Marine Police. Mr Donald was saved after a yachtsman moored in Patong Bay of Phuket detected a distress signal from his yacht ‘Moonstar’ which experienced engine failure near Indonesia’s Sumatra Islands. The Australian yachtsman, who is very fatigued, told police that he left the Australian Cocos or Keeling Islands on October 17th en route to Phuket, but had to drift with only one sail in the open sea for just over three weeks. After his main food ran out, he survived on instant noodles and rainwater. He was found three nautical miles from Patong and was then towed to Chalong Pier in Phuket. Mr Donald is very delighted to be safe and was brought shore and will now go through Phuket’s immigration procedures."

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 06-30-2008 at 01:19 AM.