Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Knockdown & Sinking In Oriental

These guys keep their boat at our neighbors pier... looks like they had a bid of bad luck this past Sat. You can tell by the first photo how much it was blowin out there. Glad everyone is ok and hopefully the boat will make a full recovery.

Sailboat Sinks Off Oriental | TownDock.net | Oriental NC News

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sea nettles suck..and so do knockdowns. Glad to hear everyone's okay and the boat looks like it wasn't damaged too badly. Positive floatation is a good thing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-30-2008
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
That's pretty much what happened to me several years ago, except my boat sank in 38' of water:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...tml#post202044

It appears that the "positive flotation" didn't really keep this boat afloat either. She went down in less than 5' of water and thus was readily accessible. Needless to say, I've added LOTS more flotation to my boat.

Old 06-30-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
Good thing they were in shallow water and everyone is safe.
Old 06-30-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Nice friendly sailing grounds where I am bringing the kids this weekend?
I know, it can happen anywhere. I supposedly have positive flotation and while I don't want to absolutely rely on this, I have been unable to find an N17 knockdown story. I found a story where a guy tried and failed, testing it in high winds on purpose. Sobering story.
Old 06-30-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
Catalina 22...

You can't keep a good boat down! (A jammed main sheet?) Hummmm

Tim
1980 S/K Catalina 22 # 9648
Windage
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Old 06-30-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I'd guess that they didn't have the centerboard clamp engaged. Once the boat passed 90 degrees, the keel rotated back and helped capsize the boat.

The mast would have dug into the ground, and the boat flooded through the open companionway.

Boat winds up resting on the bottom.

Catalina 22s are great boats that can handle adverse conditions, but sailing in heavy weather with the keel clamp disengaged, and the companionway boards out is asking for trouble.

Don't know if that's the case here, but I'll step on the semi-informed speculation bus!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 06-30-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
Nice friendly sailing grounds where I am bringing the kids this weekend?
I know, it can happen anywhere. I supposedly have positive flotation and while I don't want to absolutely rely on this, I have been unable to find an N17 knockdown story. I found a story where a guy tried and failed, testing it in high winds on purpose. Sobering story.

Hahaha! Well, i've been sailing out there as a kid several times and i will tell you that it CAN get rough. A lot of the time it's nice but occasionally there is a summer squal that blows through. If you don't feel comfortable sailing out in the Neuse River then you could always sail around in Greens Creek... large enough to have fun in but watch out for the crap pots!

I think these guys just had some bad luck... they are experienced sailors and i'm surprised to see this happen to them. I am curious about weather or not the keel clamp was ingaged.

Old 06-30-2008
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel73 View Post
Hahaha! Well, i've been sailing out there as a kid several times and i will tell you that it CAN get rough. A lot of the time it's nice but occasionally there is a summer squal that blows through. If you don't feel comfortable sailing out in the Neuse River then you could always sail around in Greens Creek... large enough to have fun in but watch out for the crap pots!

I think these guys just had some bad luck... they are experienced sailors and i'm surprised to see this happen to them. I am curious about weather or not the keel clamp was ingaged.
This really sucked for them - I'm glad everyone's okay. 5 feet of water is about where a C22 swing keel would be bouncing off of the bottom anyway. I'm wondering more if the keel was up or down rather than if the friction bolt was engaged or not.

Regardless, I find mine to be tender. Safe sailing (on a gusty day) on a C22 includes:
  1. Three crib-boards in place and companionway hatch slid shut and latched (top of step is even with waterline if it's coming over the coamings).
  2. Forward hatch dogged down (not possible without aftermarket dogs).
  3. Lazerettes properly sealed and latched (3 sq foot opening into the cabin - don't want one popping open on a knockdown).
  4. Reefed or double-reefed main (biggest contributor to heel).
Anything else in a blow is asking for trouble.
Old 06-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do the hatchboards have something that prevents them from falling out if the boat inverts??

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the companionway dropboard rail, through the drop board, and into the outer rail and put a pin through the hole, dropboard and into the outer rail to "lock" my dropboards in place in bad weather.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.