Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's cause most of us don't have brick barbeque pits on our boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I saw that last Pic!!! And I thought my grill had a flame up problem!! HEHE!

- CD

PS Looks like a great time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
That is one heck of a smoke trail! Kinda surprised the CG didn't come out with their fireboats ,and us sailnutters subsequently to be fed a link of a major news story... Could of been worse though - you could of slipped and fell because all that smoke got in your eyes...nice job on selected tack!

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 06-30-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I saw that last Pic!!! And I thought my grill had a flame up problem!! HEHE!

- CD

PS Looks like a great time.
CruisingtheDock has quietly PM'd a number of senior members to ask how tjk get's that smoke to blow astern. He says his is always sooting up the mast. CD, you have to sail to get it to do that. Likewise your question about what happened to the dock in the picture.
Old 06-30-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Chris,
You haven't owned a cellphone until you've swam with it! Personally, I particularly like the part, as I'm going in, where the brain is thinking in increments of nano-seconds and the fully formed thought occurs that I can somehow pull it off my waist and throw it in the boat on the way down. It never happens but it gives me the delusion that my mind is still young and fresh! First thing I do now when stepping on board is secure it someplace safe-"there ARE no emergency calls".

I hear, as it's fresh water, you take the battery and SIM card out and load the whole thing into a bowl of uncooked rice and let it sit for a day or two. (then you cook the rice and throw the phone away) It's worth a shot.
Old 06-30-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

Tim and Julie are veritable ambassadors-at-large for sailnet from their Holland, MI slip. You simply cannot have anything other than a good time with them whether sailing or shore-side. Of course tjk is the Midwestern Director for Logistics for the AFOC's and he didn't get there for nothing! A major portion of his duties involves acting as the designated adult. It's a dark, dirty, thankless job but we're glad he does it.

I would think that sailnet would find it desirable to send him a sailnet burgee for identification purposes-just in case he runs out of brats!

Last edited by sailaway21; 07-01-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Truth be known, I was trying to down play the injuries so as not to stress the girls. My wife Julie was pretty calm but Eileen was very upset about the whole situation. I will admit to some concern when an hour after the incident Chris looked like he had two knee caps! Being the guy that I am, my advice was to walk it off and keep it loose.

The VHF radio was busy on Sunday with a boat telling me to "Fall off" so that I can get a "Picture with the Power Plant off your stern." I of course refused and held my course. The other vessel was required to fall off in order to shoot a picture of our vessel with a major power plant on the horizon. He said Sway and CD would love it. I have no idea what that crazy dude was talking about.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-01-2008
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Glad you had a good time. & don't feel too bad -- I'm still knitting up the five ribs I shattered in a similar bit of slapstick, two weeks past. Doh! That'll leave a mark. Wonder what percentage of serious boating injuries occur dockside?
Old 07-02-2008
fringe dweller

AntonR is on a distinguished road
It could have been worse. A month ago a good friend of mine was transiting from dock to boat late at night, fell and hit his head before entering the water. His body was found 48 hours later. For liveaboards and long term cruisers, I firmly believe statistics will show entering or exiting your boat is the most dangerous part of the boating trip.

The only time I have even been injured aboard was trying to get aboard at low tide, falling into the boat and landing on the stern rail, breaking several ribs. If I had bounced off into the water, swimming and getting out of the water safely would have been difficult.
Old 07-03-2008

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
How about the number of Guy's that are found after they have fallen off the boat with their zipper's down. I don't think the Coast Guard keeps a record of these thing's but I willing to bet it's higher than you think.
Old 07-03-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by citation34 View Post
Nice pictures, Rizzo! I have a 34 Citation at Whitehall. We went out in the company of a Tartan 34 on Saturday and got a chased back in by a blast of weather that lasted about twenty minutes and included 60 (+-) mph winds. Then enjoyed a beautiful day. See you out there some time!

Mark
I think it was that same blast of air, when it went through Racine, that created havoc at Reefpoint. Two docks were made uninhabitable as the wind caused structural failures. From my understanding, all boats on those two docks were moved to other slips. Fortunately, the docks appear to be more damaged than any boats. From what I hear, two boats may have suffered some modest damage.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes

Last edited by welshwind; 07-03-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Missing word