SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Bonehead of the Year (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/44570-bonehead-year.html)

captainrizzo 06-30-2008 04:51 PM

Bonehead of the Year

5 Attachment(s)
On Saturday, we joined Sailortjk1 (Tim & Julie, joined by their friends Mark and Sally) for a 25 NM cruise to South Haven, MI. On our trip down, we beat against a fresh SSW breeze in relatively heavy seas and registered 40 NMs. It took a while, but we made it! It started to rain once we arrived in South Haven. Eileen took our dog for a much needed walk as I was preparing to get Jamie off of the boat, hurrying as it was starting to rain. Here is where I get the “Bonehead of the Year” award. I stepped off the dock, my foot slipped, and I smacked my knees on the toe rail on my way into the drink, cell phone and wallet in pockets of course. Tim had the presence of mind to lower my swim ladder so I could get out of the water! Thanks Tim!!

In spite of my mishap on the dock, we had a great time in South Haven and headed home on Sunday. We enjoyed WSW winds and reached all the way back to Holland on one leg (no pun intended)! It was a very nice sail at
impressive speeds! All-in-all, it was a great trip. Here are some photos of our adventure! Note that the boat off my stern is Julianna. Tim is famous for cooking bratwurst while under sail. Sailaway21 had mentioned that "If the fog rolls in, you can locate TJK by the smell of bratwurst. It's odiferous because he buys nothing but the best." Thanks for the heads-up Sway!!

sailingdog 06-30-2008 05:04 PM

you don't look that klutzy. :)

merlin2375 06-30-2008 05:07 PM

I know the feeling ;) These days cell phone/wallet stay in a mini dry bag until FIRMLY back on solid ground!

Joesaila 06-30-2008 05:12 PM

Glad your OK, other than bruised up a little! Nice pix, nice sails!

chucklesR 06-30-2008 05:41 PM

As long as you went sailing and not the hospital it's a successful day.

Thanks for sharing

citation34 06-30-2008 05:49 PM

Nice pictures, Rizzo! I have a 34 Citation at Whitehall. We went out in the company of a Tartan 34 on Saturday and got a chased back in by a blast of weather that lasted about twenty minutes and included 60 (+-) mph winds. Then enjoyed a beautiful day. See you out there some time!

Mark

JohnRPollard 06-30-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainrizzo (Post 335438)
I stepped off the dock, my foot slipped, and I smacked my knees on the toe rail on my way into the drink, cell phone and wallet in pockets of course. ...

Note that the boat off my stern is Julianna. Tim is famous for cooking bratwurst while under sail. Sailaway21 had mentioned that "If the fog rolls in, you can locate TJK by the smell of bratwurst. It's odiferous because he buys nothing but the best." Thanks for the heads-up Sway!!

Ouch! That must have smarted. Glad it wasn't too serious.

Are you sure Tim is only grilling bratwurst? By the looks of all that smoke, I would have guessed a pig roast or engine fire!! Must be easy to keep track of him! :D :D

Thanks for sharing the great photos.

danjarch 06-30-2008 05:54 PM

Thanks for sharing, and been there. At least the dog didn't appear tp be laughing at you,

sailingdog 06-30-2008 05:57 PM

Actually, what Sway keeps thinking is fog is actually the collected smoke from TJK's grill when the conditions are right. :)

Cruisingdad 06-30-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainrizzo (Post 335438)
On Saturday, we joined Sailortjk1 (Tim & Julie, joined by their friends Mark and Sally) for a 25 NM cruise to South Haven, MI. On our trip down, we beat against a fresh SSW breeze in relatively heavy seas and registered 40 NMs. It took a while, but we made it! It started to rain once we arrived in South Haven. Eileen took our dog for a much needed walk as I was preparing to get Jamie off of the boat, hurrying as it was starting to rain. Here is where I get the “Bonehead of the Year” award. I stepped off the dock, my foot slipped, and I smacked my knees on the toe rail on my way into the drink, cell phone and wallet in pockets of course. Tim had the presence of mind to lower my swim ladder so I could get out of the water! Thanks Tim!!

In spite of my mishap on the dock, we had a great time in South Haven and headed home on Sunday. We enjoyed WSW winds and reached all the way back to Holland on one leg (no pun intended)! It was a very nice sail at
impressive speeds! All-in-all, it was a great trip. Here are some photos of our adventure! Note that the boat off my stern is Julianna. Tim is famous for cooking bratwurst while under sail. Sailaway21 had mentioned that "If the fog rolls in, you can locate TJK by the smell of bratwurst. It's odiferous because he buys nothing but the best." Thanks for the heads-up Sway!!

I saw that last Pic!!! And I thought my grill had a flame up problem!! HEHE!

- CD

PS Looks like a great time.