Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Well duuuuuhhhh
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Have had new hires report a fire beyond the horizon. This is on partly cloudy nights and with the orange glow of the rising moon partially obscured by clouds. I would tell them that it is sea fire and to keep a good watch on it in case the fire spreads our way.
they would groan with embarrassment as the rising moon revealed itself fully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 07-01-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
My partner and I were patrolling the S. Fork of the Skagit River early one morning. The plan was to go out the river mouth, cross a large tide flat area and then head north and go back up the North Fork. We were met with heavy fog. My partner was the operator that morning. I lined up on a distant dead head I recognized and told Jerry to go that way towards Strawberry Pt. After a minute or two, I looked over my shoulder and saw a curve in our wake. We didn't have any navigation equipment on that boat. We were lost in the fog on a falling tide over tidal flats. It wasn't a 100 mile error, but I think the feeling was probably about the same.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 07-01-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
I have a lot of "worst" errors, but the "worst of the worst" happened back before GPS to a friend and his wife aboard their 35 foot steel cutter sailing way down the Mexican coast. They were on a broad reach, running near hull speed, making for a coastal inlet on a very dark night. His wife was driving the boat and he was below looking at the charts. He came up to see how things were going and she told him she was locked in on the high range marker. About the time he asked her if she knew there was a low-lying barrier island between them and the harbor, they went aground at six knots at near high tide on the beach of the barrier island.
To make a very long story much shorter, six days later, they were back in navigatable waters.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 07-01-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
What planet did you think it was?
Old 07-01-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
One time out over the Florida Middlegrounds, (south of PC, west of Tampa) my wife and I saw several very bright flares, which we took to be distress flares from nearby shrimpers. Got on 16 to ask about them and everything, trying to relay info to the Coast Guard.

Turns out they were Air Force drones being shot down in dogfight target practice at night, out of Tyndall AFB. Once we started looking close enough, we could see the red dots of the fighter jets doing circles / etc in the air. Whoops.
Old 07-01-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
What planet did you think it was?
Hey don’t start with me, at least I have the navigation error record. Last summer their was something I'm assuming a planet that was very bright and visible , which one, maybe Venus or Jupiter.fficeffice" />>>
Old 07-01-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Lucky...

Even though nothing happened, it still gives me the creeps....

I was going though Dent Rapids in BC an area of AMAZING current. We had been through there before and had a great deal of respect for the rapids and went through right at slack. We normally went around to the left of the little island that is right through the rapids but we wanted to get going (to make our next current appointment) and didn't want to swamp all the sailing traffic with the rather large wake that this 76ft megayacht makes, so we went around to the right of the island. We fished these waters often and thought we knew the area.

So we've just passed though 17kts in this 1.5million dollar yacht when in seemingly open water our graphing depth-sounder shows what looks like mt everest beneath us. 4ft of water was what it read when we passed over it at 17kts. We draft 4ft+ and the sounder is mounted about a foot or so down. The lowest part of the draft is of course the 2 giant props powered by 800turbo cats. We passed over it like nothing happened, though I about crapped myself.

The lessons? Well there are may, but I'd say the most applicable one here was to not get too focused on the danger that lies ahead and forget to look at what's beyond it. We spent so much time planning our approach and transit through the rapids that we forgot to look at what was on the chart for the next mile or so.

Stupid and lucky....

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-07-2008

ger3926 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I like to win things so can anyone top a navigation error of 100 million miles?
The mist was just right and the angle was just right and their was no known shore lights in that direction.
I was convinced I was looking at planet.
It was a mast head light for a sailboat at anchorage. Probably one of those new led bright ones.

So beat that if you can.

Only Cap. KIRK can shoot by Sextant a Star at night - he got a private horizont.
- when you see 3 white lights - and they are no stars - be sure, its a train.
Old 07-07-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
tjk is hardly alone. I read this and thought about false EPIRB signals and such-then I thought of this thread.
BBC NEWS | Wales | Police say UFO was just the Moon

As Cam's post points out, if you've water under the keel and are confused as to location, actually following the Rules of the Road makes sense! Take all way off the vessel and await developments. Sounds too simple does it not? The alternative reminds me of my high school bud who was driving one night and saw flashing lights up ahead. His words, "so I speeded up to see what it was". The lights were the headlights of a car from the opposite direction. The flashing was caused by the train passing between the two vehicles. He stopped in time-barely.