Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
My biggest navigation error. In pea soup thick fog on long island sound. Visibility was not any better 10 to 15 feet over the bow. I was double checking everything as I was heading for an Mid-Sound buoy. Well I found it and scraped the side of it. The error was in low visibility, plot to one side or the other of fixed objects,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2008

whroeder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Whats the strangest thing you thought you saw and what did it turn out to actually be.
Years ago, we were stopped in the middle of the Indian River (Florida lagoon) when I spotted a small plane flying south, low and slow.

I commented to my wife: if that Japanese Zero starts to strafe us we'll have to jump overboard.

As it went overhead, we saw the red balls on the wings. It was going to an air show in south Florida.
Old 07-08-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
a case of the stupids.

Many long years ago, a couple of years after I bought my 29 foot boat, I got a great deal on a brand new Danforth compass. Took it to the boat, installed it behind the tiller, where it was easily visible, and checked it (in the slip) against my existing, old, faded, hard to see, etc. compass that was mounted next to the companionway. They matched up, so I ASSumed that all was well.

The following Friday, the wife, dogs and I head out for a 'routine' crossing to Two Harbors, hoping to beat the crowd.

By 2000 (that's 8PM for you lubbers) we had not spotted the Island which was strange. I checked my brandy-new compass and it said we were right on course. Finally, are 2300 we heard a bell. I headed for the sound, since I knew something was way wrong. The bell was atop a sea buoy. I got the number off of it, and headed down to the little nav table to figure out where we REALLY were.

We were about 20 miles north of where we wanted to be.

We turned around, and the wife says, 'I think your new compass is broken.'
I wasn't so sure about that, but I knew the old compass worked, so we set a new course using the old unit. Lo, the two compasses did not even come close to agreeing!

Got into Catalina just before daybreak. The wife, mad, went to bed, leaving me to puzzle the problem.

I dug around, crawled into the lazarette via the hatch in the cockpit, and not more than three inches from my brand new compass was a couple of 1 1/2 inch galvanized chunks of pipe that were part of the exhaust system.

Duh. I never thought about that. My bad.

Anyway. we got back to our slip in Long Beach using the old, trusted, (if barely visible) compass. The following Saturday, I took the boat out and 'swung' the compass, using the convenient harbor wall which the Port of Long Beach built exactly true north-south. The deviation card for that compass read like a multiplication table until I finally decided to pull the pipe out and replace it with hose.

So, that was my dumbest stunt in navigation.
Old 07-08-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
The lights were the headlights of a car from the opposite direction. The flashing was caused by the train passing between the two vehicles.
OFF TOPIC

Same thing happened to me on the Blue Star Highway (You probably know it well) but it was not a train, it was two deers crossing right in front of me and the oncoming car. Hit the breaks as hard as I could, went from 80MPH down to about 50 in no time, just missed the second deer by about 6 feet.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-08-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
This isn't thousands of miles, but years ago while at the helm and on watch from St. Thomas to Bermuda I was so entranced by the bright shiny path of the full moon leading me directly on course to Bermuda that I steered down the path for my entire watch. Just before watch change - the "duh" moment. The moon had been moving to the west and I had been steering a lovely banana shaped course away from Bermuda. But it was such a lovely night that I almost forgave myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 07-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jim-

You were lucky you were in open water... doing that near shore is a good way to find charted rocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmalkin View Post
This isn't thousands of miles, but years ago while at the helm and on watch from St. Thomas to Bermuda I was so entranced by the bright shiny path of the full moon leading me directly on course to Bermuda that I steered down the path for my entire watch. Just before watch change - the "duh" moment. The moon had been moving to the west and I had been steering a lovely banana shaped course away from Bermuda. But it was such a lovely night that I almost forgave myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
You're right, of course, but I suspect that we all tend to get a bit more "dreamy" well off-shore on a beautiful night with a full moon and a beam reach... Having said that, however, I also have to keep slapping myself from not taking "home waters' for granted. Once told a crew to keep the Statue of Liberty off to starboard as we headed south out of NY Harbor. Went below and five minutes later felt us going aground on a charted sandbar directly S of the Statue. The crew had kept the Statue to the starboard, but as it is on an island, had started a circle around it... eight embarrassing hours with tour boats, water police, coast guard, park police etc until the tide floated us off...My fault for lack of clear and complete instructions.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven