SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A question for Puget Sound sailors

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
Hello!

I'm new to sailing and would like to thank everyone on this board for providing a wealth of information for newbies like me. Some friends and I would like to sail the Catalina 22 from the Everett Marina around Hat Island to Langley, have lunch, then sail back to the Everett Marina. We are planning to leave Everett at 9am and be back by 2pm. Is this a reasonable amount of time?

I've only taken the boat out three times this year and the crew that will be with me has no experience (and this will be on the 4th of July).

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Eric

#3 ·
Depending upon wind etc, it took me in my 30' boat 3-4 hrs to round hat island from the everett marina. I'm not sure how much farther north and east langley is, but personally I would figure being back in everett around 3-4 pm vs 2. Or possibly later if you sail and the wind is down.......

If you can find a boat name slow flight, talk to Skip about how long it takes to get places in a C22. He sails his single handed alot. The folks at milltown sail club should know how to get ahold of him, and have how long it may take too.

Marty

#4 · (Edited)
I see Marty beat me to it... He was sailing Saturday, but not Sunday. Ha!

Anyway,

Ahh... The Langley Dinner Cruise!

That's a real fun thing to do. I used to go on Langley Dinner Cruises when I kept my Catalina 30 in Everett.

So, let's see.....

Depending on where you are at in Everett, it could be 10 - 15 minutes to the breakwater

It's about 8 nautical miles to Langley from the breakwater. If the wind is up, it will probably blow from the north or south, so you should be able to reach directly to Langley. You should be able to make 5 knots on your boat on a reach in decent wind or under sail (I had a C22 for a couple of years)

It'll cost you another 10 minutes to drop your sails and tie up. You should be able to squeeze into somewhere at Langley as they have lots of smaller slips. You may have to be aggressive on that, but Langley has a tradition of fitting everybody in.

10 minutes to walk into town. I like Village Pizza, but the service is kind of slow there. You'd be in there at least an hour.

So, let's add 'em up

15 minutes to the breakwater
100 minutes to Langley
10 minutes to dock
10 minutes to walk
60 minutes to eat
10 minutes to walk
10 minutes to undock
100 minutes to Everett
15 minutes to your slip

Total: 330 minutes, or 5-1/2 hours.

So, no, 4 hours isn't enough. But, the Langley Dinner Cruise is a really fun trip and I highly recommend it. You should figure out how to get more time to accomplish this trip.

You really should do this!

Remember to wear your PFDs!

David

P.S. This was a really good first post. Welcome to Sailnet. We have strong representation up here! Go ahead and introduce yourself and your boat in the Introduce Yourself thread. You make 10 inane posts there, and then post us pictures of your boat, please.

#5 ·
Actually David,

I was sailing BOTH sat and sun. Did the ECYC mad dash race/cruise to ludlow. Got 5th of 11 on sat there, and screwed up on how to get back, went down to 10th, from about 4or5th at the point no point bouy. Shoulda headed over to Kingston on a broad reach and then to edmonds. We went straight down wind and hit a wind hole and some funky currents in that area. grrrrrrrrrrrr

Wife has asked for a main sail for her bday! Think i should do that?

Marty

#6 ·
Ah... yes, you should have stayed out of the Whidbey (Glasscock) Island vortex.

Especially in a northerly.

Strange, unhappy things happen there.

Um, let's see.. she wants you to buy her a mainsail for her birthday.

Sounds like a trap.

#7 · (Edited)
Definitely a trap... get her something nice, and a mainsail. :) Since she asked for the mainsail, she can't complain that you bought it for her, and what she'll remember is the nice thing that you got her in addition to the mainsail... and you'll have a new mainsail and a happy wife. I've never heard a woman honestly complain that you spent too much on her birthday gift.

Wife has asked for a main sail for her bday! Think i should do that?

#9 ·
Yeah, probably is a trap, but will order one none the less. "SHE" made an appointment with sail sales rep. better her than I, i would forget to mention to bring samples of cloth and new sail cover cloth options.....or some such dumb thing. That must be why I am referred to as teh "cabin boy", she is the admiral!

I was showing her this stuff on LT, as I left the room, I mumbled something about a new 155 genoa for my bday.............even with my lack of hearing ie literally with no hearing aids in..............."don't push it buster".............hmmmmmmmmmmm

Any way. need to get to work, ie where I make money work, not playing on sailnet or doing paperwork, ie billings for clients....while that does bring in money, it does not help the billables increase per say......

marty

#10 ·
Marty:

Be brave on the sail cover color. You could get away with some interesting colors. Amoretto's neutral tones make this possible.

And, if you play it right, you could parlay this into a new genny, just for aesthetic reasons.

#12 ·
We got new interior sunbrella cushions last yr,,,,,, for HER bday!...........i did pick out the pattern........and color, which was suprising.

Anyway, she is thinking a royal blue to match the lettering and boot stripe colors. Not seing too many color choices at that site, hopefully the rep will have a BIG sample book with him.

It is nice with a white hull and a very pale lite tanish deck color, one can pretty much use any color. The one I want to stay away from is the typical blue you see all over. anything BUT. We would like some thing a bit darker.

Ok, so now that we have taken over and trashed the OP's first post........we should appologize for this should we not?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

nah!

marty

#13 ·
Yep. Stay away from the blue. My boat is blue. My new canvas is blue. I like blue. Too much blue out there.

We didn't hijack the thread. The OP got good answers to his question. It's over.

Now, it's all about us.

#17 ·
What's the deal, you claiming a monopoly on green?

Moss has a prior claim in this neck of the woods.

What year is Sea Sharp?

Picture please!

David

#16 ·
BTW, Sunbrella calls royal blue—Pacific Blue... :) I know because most of the canvas on my boat is Pacific Blue.

#19 ·
Yep, one of the new ones. They really improved the boat in 1986. I especially appreciated the new galley arrangement, integrated cooler/step, and dedicated locker for the gas tank.

I had a 1988. #14312 What's your sail number?

Nice boat!

#22 ·
If you folks want to argue with the admiral on the "blue" shade, you go right ahead, you know whom will win do you?!?!?!?!? ;);)Not ME! LOL:p:p:p:p

would prefer another black cover, or if we had kept the red stripes........maybe a red cover. but with a darker blue, will go that route. I know I do NOT want the atypical blue sunbrella one sees.

As far as green, there is an ODay on C dock with a green cover etc that looks reasonably sharp, considering the green looks a bit older and faded, still overall not a bad scheme.

Appt is at noon, for probably a UK TDS main, then hopefully we can match a 155 in a few months. Maybe Oct for MY bday eh!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Glad OP has the answer they needed, dispite us other PS'rs giving ea other ration of shaving cream!!:D:D:D:D:D

Hope to see you out there at some point in time.

marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.