Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008

microtonal is on a distinguished road
A question for Puget Sound sailors

Hello!

I'm new to sailing and would like to thank everyone on this board for providing a wealth of information for newbies like me. Some friends and I would like to sail the Catalina 22 from the Everett Marina around Hat Island to Langley, have lunch, then sail back to the Everett Marina. We are planning to leave Everett at 9am and be back by 2pm. Is this a reasonable amount of time?

I've only taken the boat out three times this year and the crew that will be with me has no experience (and this will be on the 4th of July).

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
That's just under 20 NM round trip. If you motor at 5 knots, that's 4 hrs travel time.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 07-01-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Depending upon wind etc, it took me in my 30' boat 3-4 hrs to round hat island from the everett marina. I'm not sure how much farther north and east langley is, but personally I would figure being back in everett around 3-4 pm vs 2. Or possibly later if you sail and the wind is down.......

If you can find a boat name slow flight, talk to Skip about how long it takes to get places in a C22. He sails his single handed alot. The folks at milltown sail club should know how to get ahold of him, and have how long it may take too.

Marty
Old 07-01-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I see Marty beat me to it... He was sailing Saturday, but not Sunday. Ha!

Anyway,

Ahh... The Langley Dinner Cruise!

That's a real fun thing to do. I used to go on Langley Dinner Cruises when I kept my Catalina 30 in Everett.

So, let's see.....

Depending on where you are at in Everett, it could be 10 - 15 minutes to the breakwater

It's about 8 nautical miles to Langley from the breakwater. If the wind is up, it will probably blow from the north or south, so you should be able to reach directly to Langley. You should be able to make 5 knots on your boat on a reach in decent wind or under sail (I had a C22 for a couple of years)

It'll cost you another 10 minutes to drop your sails and tie up. You should be able to squeeze into somewhere at Langley as they have lots of smaller slips. You may have to be aggressive on that, but Langley has a tradition of fitting everybody in.

10 minutes to walk into town. I like Village Pizza, but the service is kind of slow there. You'd be in there at least an hour.

So, let's add 'em up

15 minutes to the breakwater
100 minutes to Langley
10 minutes to dock
10 minutes to walk
60 minutes to eat
10 minutes to walk
10 minutes to undock
100 minutes to Everett
15 minutes to your slip

Total: 330 minutes, or 5-1/2 hours.

So, no, 4 hours isn't enough. But, the Langley Dinner Cruise is a really fun trip and I highly recommend it. You should figure out how to get more time to accomplish this trip.

You really should do this!

Remember to wear your PFDs!

David

P.S. This was a really good first post. Welcome to Sailnet. We have strong representation up here! Go ahead and introduce yourself and your boat in the Introduce Yourself thread. You make 10 inane posts there, and then post us pictures of your boat, please.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 07-01-2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Postscript
Old 07-01-2008

Actually David,

I was sailing BOTH sat and sun. Did the ECYC mad dash race/cruise to ludlow. Got 5th of 11 on sat there, and screwed up on how to get back, went down to 10th, from about 4or5th at the point no point bouy. Shoulda headed over to Kingston on a broad reach and then to edmonds. We went straight down wind and hit a wind hole and some funky currents in that area. grrrrrrrrrrrr

Wife has asked for a main sail for her bday! Think i should do that?

Marty
Old 07-01-2008

Ah... yes, you should have stayed out of the Whidbey (Glasscock) Island vortex.

Especially in a northerly.

Strange, unhappy things happen there.

Um, let's see.. she wants you to buy her a mainsail for her birthday.

Sounds like a trap.

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 07-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Definitely a trap... get her something nice, and a mainsail. Since she asked for the mainsail, she can't complain that you bought it for her, and what she'll remember is the nice thing that you got her in addition to the mainsail... and you'll have a new mainsail and a happy wife. I've never heard a woman honestly complain that you spent too much on her birthday gift.

Quote:
Wife has asked for a main sail for her bday! Think i should do that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-01-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Definitely a trap... get her something nice, and a mainsail.
As long as "something nice" isn't a kitchen remodel.

Old 07-01-2008

Yeah, probably is a trap, but will order one none the less. "SHE" made an appointment with sail sales rep. better her than I, i would forget to mention to bring samples of cloth and new sail cover cloth options.....or some such dumb thing. That must be why I am referred to as teh "cabin boy", she is the admiral!

I was showing her this stuff on LT, as I left the room, I mumbled something about a new 155 genoa for my bday.............even with my lack of hearing ie literally with no hearing aids in..............."don't push it buster".............hmmmmmmmmmmm

Any way. need to get to work, ie where I make money work, not playing on sailnet or doing paperwork, ie billings for clients....while that does bring in money, it does not help the billables increase per say......

marty
Old 07-01-2008

Marty:

Be brave on the sail cover color. You could get away with some interesting colors. Amoretto's neutral tones make this possible.

And, if you play it right, you could parlay this into a new genny, just for aesthetic reasons.