Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here's the publishers blurb on the book:
In 2003, after two years at sea, the 55-foot catamaran sailed by the Silverwoods, a suburban California family that chucked it all to sail around the world, hit a reef off the South Pacific island of Scilly (now known as Manuae), putting the life of Jean and John and their four children (ages five to 16) in peril. The first part of the book is written from Jean's perspective as she opens with the wreck and then moves smoothly between the family's fight for survival and the story of their journey. By juxtaposing the two tales, Jean illustrates how the children's maturity and cohesiveness were not only a byproduct of the trip but also the keys to all the Silverwoods surviving their ordeal, especially John, who was critically injured by the falling mast. Jean wears her heart on her sleeve, and her writing about her marital problems or John's alcoholic relapses is honest. John's narrative is half as long as Jean's, underscoring his straight-to-the point personality and writing style. The saga from John's perspective lacks emotion, but his ability to interweave the story of the Julia Anne (a sailing ship that hit the same reef in 1855) gives an eye-opening account of how much and how little sea travel has changed in 150 years and accentuates the heroism of this family that overcame an extraordinary ordeal.
I wonder if the alchoholism played a role?

Here's a link to info on the atoll they hit.
Manuae (Society Islands) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-02-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I too am curious if this was an uncharted reef, or a mishap in navigation.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it is that well known, I would hope it would be on the charts.... Sounds more and more like navigation error.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
They took a chance, they made a mistake, but most importantly, they fought to survive.

A great big huzzah for the captain and crew of the French boat that came to their rescue.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-02-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I too am curious if this was an uncharted reef, or a mishap in navigation.

- CD
After a ship hit it in 1855? I would think it was charted since he knows it is the same reef.
Old 07-02-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I'd also be curious to know why it took the USCG "Several hours" to figure out where they were, after receiving the EPIRB transmission. I had thought the system resolved positions typically in less than one hour.
Old 07-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It might be because they were using a 121.5 MHz EPIRB, rather than a newer 406 MHz EPIRB. Of course, if they had had a 406 MHz GPIRB, it would have been much faster a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'd also be curious to know why it took the USCG "Several hours" to figure out where they were, after receiving the EPIRB transmission. I had thought the system resolved positions typically in less than one hour.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dunno, as i understand it the 121.5 devices don't hit satellites at all, and in that case their rescue would have been co-ordinated locally (because the signal was locally received by aircraft or ship) and not relayed back the to USCG. The relay indicates it was a satellite reception--which won't ever happen with 121.5 alone.

Maybe a satellite was down and there was a coverage/df gap?
Old 07-02-2008
CqCasting

CqCasting is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CqCasting View Post
I saw the News this morning. I felt cheated by the media as they cut it off short. I would like to know if they intend to continue with following their dream? I can only hope!
In addition: The news story mentioned that the skipper nearly lost his led when the mast came down. Plus they have a book published. So, how long ago did this occur and where did they receive medical treatment?
Old 07-02-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I can't quite figure out why anyone would buy the book. Maybe I'm a callous old bugger but other than the fact that they hit a reef I cannot see that there story is in any way interesting. Yeah OK so they lost the boat (sad) and the skipper nearly died and/or lost a leg (doubly sad) but I'm sorry, it all leaves me strangely unmoved and certainly not moved enough to blow $30.00 or so. Maybe, pick it up for $1.50 second hand some day.

OTOH, if they did only have a 121.05 Epirb, WTF ???? They have a 55' cat that allows then to watch dvds in the middle of the ocean but they don't spring for a 406 Epirb ???? Weird s__t.

Final point, if as appears probable, they did not have a lookout posted, why not ? For gods sake there were six people on board that thing. OK so the five year old was a bit young to stand watch but at least out of the three eldest surely.........

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett