Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I can't find a reference to Scilly but there is a Manuae in the Cook Islands

Manuae in the Cook Islands, southern group, South Pacific Ocean

and it is well and truely charted. You can even find it on Google Earth.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 07-02-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Interesting.

There is another Manuae in the Society Islands and this one was originally known as Scilly.

Manuae (Society Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-02-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

For something that left me unmoved I seem to be posting an awful lot on the subject but ....

Excerpt from 'The Black Wave' - USATODAY.com

has an except.

ps - it happened in 2003.

Old 07-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Wow...great excerpt Fuzzy. Still not interested?
Old 07-02-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Wow...great excerpt Fuzzy. Still not interested?
Maybe, Cam. I've already got the thing down from $32.95 to $17.95. By weeks end they'll be paying me to read it.

If I can afford the postage.

You know I bought eight books from Allibris last week. Total cost less than $70.00 but it's costing me $120.00 to get the bastards to Australia. Sheesh.

Old 07-02-2008
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Manuae shows up really well on my chartplotter as an atoll which is about 6 miles north-south by 7 miles east-west. Hitting it with a chartplotter going would take some real neglect.
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm with the fuzzy rodent... they went cruising, screwed up, lost the boat, lost a leg... but that doesn't make me want to read the book. If they had gone cruising, screwed up, saved the boat by heroic efforts and kept going, that would be worth reading IMHO>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-02-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Here is a link to "Black Wave" wich aired last night on 48 hours. Live To Tell: Black Wave - CBS News Video
The family claims that they had a problem with the boom during the day, and altered course to head into the wind and work on it. They also think the currents may have had a bigger effect on the boat than they realized. How do you not use GPS to figure out where you are, especially before sailing into a dark night? Reminds me of the saying, "When you're lost, an anchor becomes a navigational device....it, keeps you in a place where you aren't sinking." When they hit the reef the wife thought "we're in the middle of the Pacific, we can't hit a reef"! Apparently the fancy boat didn't come with charts! Then, the USCG had a difficult time figuring out where the boat was. When the USCG finely contacted the French Coast Guard, the French wouldn't fly their helicopter until daylight, and then had to make a stop to refuel! Wonder why they wouldn't fly? It was a big bird, at least as big as the Helios I see the USCG flying at night all the time, and the conditions seemed to be mild. The father's leg was hanging on by some tendons and he lost a lot of blood. He Is really lucky to be alive, considering how long it took to fly him out! The French gave him a medal for bravery. As far as I'm concerned, he is the last person that deserved a medal! Don't mean to be harsh, but I say...you run a perfectly good 55', state of the art boat onto in reef in moderate conditions and put 6 other lives in danger, no medal for you!

Last edited by L124C; 03-11-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dunno, as i understand it the 121.5 devices don't hit satellites at all, and in that case their rescue would have been co-ordinated locally (because the signal was locally received by aircraft or ship) and not relayed back the to USCG. The relay indicates it was a satellite reception--which won't ever happen with 121.5 alone.

Maybe a satellite was down and there was a coverage/df gap?
They just recently stopped listening for 121.5 on the sattelites. If this happened before this year the SARSATS would have recieived the alert.

I don't know about marine SAR, but I know the Air Force waits to get 3 "hits" in the same general location before activating Civil Air Patrol SAR assests. That can take some time depending on how many sattelites can "see" you. I would suspect the process would be similar for a marine SAR response.
Old 03-02-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
I read the book 'cause the library had it on the "new books" shelf, I disliked it so much it was very difficult to finish. The wife/mother wrote it and it is more introspection and "how the kids grew up on the voyage" then sailing. They were not too clear about how they hit the reef but I think it was on auto pilot and they were way off on their position and WHAM! where'd that reef come from?
After position was determined SAR sent a family of fishermen to their aid who LIVED on what passed for an island on the other side of the lagoon from the reef. A french navy helicopter picked them up and took him for medical care.
I can't recommend the book.