Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Reason # 4,567 why I love sailboats....

Why Sailboats Are Better

DrB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2008

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
I wonder if we will see a jump in sailboat sails and interest like in the 70's early 80's when there was the last oil crises.
Old 07-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would be nice to see more sailors and fewer powerboats out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2008

rossir is on a distinguished road
maybe the rush to convert to dockominiums will slow. Maybe there will be more slips available!
Old 07-02-2008
supernoob

82sabre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It would be nice to see more sailors and fewer powerboats out there.
hey hey hey nothing wrong with the powerboaters out there as long as they're respectful and whatnot.

S/V Easy Skankin' 28 foot Sabre Ketch
Old 07-02-2008

Ippa2 is on a distinguished road
I can speak to the possible powerboaters thinking of switching to sail, as I am one of them...

I've been a powerboater all my life, but due to rising costs I can't help but think how much its actually costing me to get from point A to point B. I sail with friends whenever I can and I always think, wow this is free! Plus it is so peaceful and beautiful to be out on the water under sail. Now I'm not your normal powerboater... I've been on a sailing kick for over 7 years and I've had a subscription to Cruising World for a while too. The increasing gas costs just make the dream of sailing even sweeter. Now if only I could convince my wife that sailing is the way of the future...

When the time does come (someday) I got at least a 1/2 dozen sailboats at the top of my list... first off Tartan 34C!

Fair winds and following seas....
Old 07-02-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Ippa, my friend, it really isn't free. I carry only the minimum sails, just a roller furled 150 Jenny and a mainsail on my cruising boat. I spent over a grand last year to have them repaired, cleaned, and resin coated. They will need it again in 3-4 years. When they are no longer repairable, decent sails will cost 4-5000 to replace. Racing boats in the 35-40 foot class will carry 10-15000 dollars worth of sails, and the really serious racers replace them annually! Free is called WALKING, and you better go barefoot, because my walking shoes cost over a hundred bucks!
Sailing is definitely lower cost than power boats, especially if you are a cruiser, not a racer. Don't do it for monetary reasons, if you don't love it, go for a walk! From a purely monetary standpoint, I should not be a sailor -- This year the river is flooded, I won't be able to use my boat before August, but I still pay the slip fees, depreciation, and my bottom needs painting to the tune of 1500 dollars! (if there is no blisters) But I love it, and wouldn't give it up!
BTW, a Tartan 34 is awesome, but I would recommend starting small. There is a learning curve in sailing, just like everything else.

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
Old 07-02-2008

Ippa2 is on a distinguished road
Its not that I don't know how to sail. I taught sailing for 2 summers and I've spent time on boats from sunfish to 40' gaff rigged sloops. It was just that powerboating was always a little less work and less time consuming. But I have always had a soft spot for sailboats. I would be cruising down the bay at 20 knots and would just watch in beautiful awe a 40' Hinkley go sailing by. Now I'm cruising at 5-7 knots in my "power" boat to be more efficient and I'm not cruising to my favorite destinations around Buzzards Bay & Cape Cod. In a sailboat I wouldn't think twice about cruising 20+ miles down the bay. I'd pack my bags and cooler and make a weekend out of it.
Old 07-02-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I'm noticing a trend on powerboat converts lately. I think it's a good thing. While your cruising distance may be reduced, unless ya get some ex IOR racer, the relaxation benefit is returned. Besides, I get plenty of exercise on the sailboat, mainly because I always try to get the most out of her.