Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008

Tortuga12 is on a distinguished road
Forum for small boats?

I've noticed that these forums tend to cater to the larger boats. Where can I go to get more knowledge on sailing little daysailers? Looks like I might be getting a Falcon 16, and I want to expand my knowledge base on sailing the little guys.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tortuga-

Try Sailfar.net. It is a small boat cruising site...but has a lot of small boat people on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
You can learn a lot here, but you might also try looking at sites for one designs that are extremely similar. How much like a DaySailor is it? They have an active community and forum:
DaySailer.org
There may be closer matches, I don't know. But you get the general idea. You can read articles about tuning and sailing similar boats and talk to people in forums. I belong to a Siren 17 forum where I participate in discussions a lot about boats like mine, even though I have a Newport 17.
Old 07-02-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
No one here will ever put you down or speak badly about your boat no matter how small.
Sailor's are sailor's, most of the folks with larger boats secretly wish they had a day boat they could just hop in and go sailing with.
Old 07-02-2008
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Hi, Tortuga --

If you find a forum, please let me know. I like the dialog here and I've learned a lot (about gelcoat refurbishing, for one thing), even though much of the discussion is regarding heads, electronics, thru-hulls, electrical systems, etc. etc. which I thankfully don't have to deal with.

I check in on Trailer Sailor occasionally, but that doesn't quite fit the bill. And the "dinghy" section on SA is mostly for gonzo foilers and trapeze boats. That's fine, but I'm about 40 years past gonzo. I check in on my class association web site for Scot-specific stuff, too.

I'd love to see a "daysailers" forum here, but judging from the small number of people like Mr. Barnhart an me, there's not a lot of interest.

Regards,

Kurt
Old 07-02-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
We certainly do value the input of folks with smaller boats here. I hope you feel welcome. You are. So, post some questions/tutorials and see what happens.

Most of us have spent significant time with daysailers.

Sailnet is what WE make of it.

Go for it!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 07-03-2008

Stryker72 is on a distinguished road
It would be nice to have a forum for the dinghy/day sailor members. I'm in the process of getting my O'day Javelin ready to sail, while I save, search and dream of a bigger boat.
Old 07-03-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I think most of the sailors on this forum (me, anyway) started on small boats, so if you don't find a more finely-tuned forum, ask away.

And no one here will look down on small boats. I teach in them sometimes (like Flying Scots and 20-something sportboats) and these are strictly daysailers not cruisers, so if we can help with a question, we will.

And we recognize that the best sailors start out in small boats, which give you the best "feel" of sailing. So don't apologize about the "little guys"..
Old 07-12-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
I have found this group of sailers to be gentlemen. This is the only non business group that I try to keep up with due to the knowledge of issues affecting both small and large boat. Just jump in and ask

Tom
Old 07-12-2008

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga12 View Post
I've noticed that these forums tend to cater to the larger boats. Where can I go to get more knowledge on sailing little daysailers? Looks like I might be getting a Falcon 16, and I want to expand my knowledge base on sailing the little guys.

Thanks in advance!!
Trailer Sailor - The Online Resource for the Small Boat Sailor - Trailer Sailer

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.