Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Sitting in my cockpit looking aft with the loves of my life (first mate and three daughters), a nice beverage, and watching the city's fireworks which get set off about 100 yards north of us. An awesome display. I do keep a hose handy (we are docked) and we pray for westerly or southernly winds. Hopefully, I'll get a few hours of sailing in beforehand.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
I'm with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
You are a braver man than I.
Never liked being outside the harbor for this one. Way toooooo many idiots out there. Have you tried to get a temporary can through Monroe Harbor. I know they sell out way in advance, but I would rather be inside on a can than anchored out with the crazies.
I agree ... I've seen too many nut cases out there and many of them are in a hurry to leave when the show is over. But then again, I'm getting old ...

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 07-03-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Spend Friday night with Joel and Jaymie, then sail back down with them on Saturday and spend the weekend in Oriental.
Then I guess I will be meeting you on Saturday also. Cool!

On the 4th, I will be at home working on the boat (I hope) and getting all packed up and ready to head down to Oriental early Saturday. It's CroakerFest and the kids will want to do a lot besides boating but we will be out on the sound quite a bit.

This will be the first real test for the new-to-me old-but-looks-rebuilt motor. I ran it for a while in a big bucket of water last night and I am pretty confident it willl do fine. I had waited until I got a manual to run it very long and I am glad I did. I keep finding references to it as air cooled and it has fins and vent holes that indicate that's the case, but it has a lower housing that looks like a water cooled motor. Someone on one forum told me that was to cut manufacturing costs because it is shared with other models (the net is such a great place to get info ). It turns out it is a hybrid. There is a water pump in there that cools the exhaust system and it should not be run out of water for more than a minute. I will also have a trolling motor, charged up battery, cell phone, hand held VHF and credit card on the boat with me just in case...
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I was going to go out and watch the fireworks from out in the Bay...but since they're probably closing the hurricane barrier due to unusually high tide expected tomorrow, and there expecting thunderstorms through tomorrow evening... I'm going over to my sister's condo on the Cape for a cookout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-03-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
Watching the Lake Union fireworks from our front row seat, then going out the locks on Saturday for our first overnighter.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Old 07-03-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
We're walking about two blocks down to the beach in Oceanside to watch fire works, then walk back home afterwards...big exciting life huh
Old 07-03-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
We're walking about two blocks down to the beach in Oceanside to watch fire works, then walk back home afterwards...big exciting life huh
Actually that does sound nice. i tend to stay away from the water on "TARD" weekends

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 07-04-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
With diesel running nearly six bucks a gallon, I guess I'm stuck at the dock this weekend.

Cap'n Gary
S/V Island Breeze
Old 07-04-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
you have a blow boat I thought????
Old 07-04-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
I'm working...........