Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm surprised at that, since you could just as easily paint over them, and they would effectively disappear without obvious signs of removal. To get the copper plate off the boat, you need a saw or a chisel, and it's gonna be really obvious something was hacked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Ours were spray painted onto the inside of the hull using letter templates (inside of a cockpit locker), and that passed inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2008

dawnhoff is on a distinguished road
I had one of my boats inspected last Tuesday. They provided a sticker with the new number to put inside, plus I carved it inside on the back of the bulkhead. Can't be too careful.

" It seemed like a good idea at the time..."
Old 07-03-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Spray paint doesn't meet the legal requirements, even if someone did pass it. The next guy who sees it could just as easily say "Violation" and take it from there--and they'd be right to do so.

Easier & cheaper to fix that before they write it up. (But, hey, I'm paranoid. I put up the MARPOL and oil stickers without being asked, too.)
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've got the MARPOL and OIL DISCHARGE plaques up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Spray paint doesn't meet the legal requirements, even if someone did pass it. The next guy who sees it could just as easily say "Violation" and take it from there--and they'd be right to do so.

Easier & cheaper to fix that before they write it up. (But, hey, I'm paranoid. I put up the MARPOL and oil stickers without being asked, too.)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-03-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
My first and only USCG stop I did not have the oil and trash plaques they gave me new ones never asked about the document plaque and sent me on my way. very nice guys. But if my boat had a big gun on the frount, I would load it, but it was impresive anyway, when came up behind me that gun was the first thing I saw, Damn that swift boat is quiet and FAST!
Old 07-04-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'm surprised at that, since you could just as easily paint over them, and they would effectively disappear without obvious signs of removal. To get the copper plate off the boat, you need a saw or a chisel, and it's gonna be really obvious something was hacked out.
I know what you mean about being surprised. I had plans of putting something in more permanent like a plaque, but 'the man' didn't say a thing to me about the painted letters and numbers, so I left it the way it was. This boat was first documented two owners ago, and as far as I know of, those are the original numbers.
Old 07-04-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

You're probably right about the next guy, and it has stayed in the back of my mind that maybe I should change that...I have all the stickers and plaques too.
Old 07-04-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Ours is engraved ( 3" ) in the teak trim in the forward berth, it's out of sight but easily found

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-04-2008
Telstar 28

BTW, like a HIN or VIN number, I have a second USCG documentation number hidden in elsewhere in the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-04-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
Our Doc number is three inch numbers carved into a piece of teak, and the teak has been epoxied to an external beam in the forecastle. In addition, there are a dozen big sheet metal screws holding the wood, and those screws have plugs epoxied over them. Then I put a couple of coats of epoxy over the whole thing. If you pry that board off, you're going to rip the fiberglass rib to pieces.

The Coasties seemed happy with it when they looked. They were more unhappy about my spray bottle of Dawn detergent and water. They asked me what it was, and had no sense of humor when I said, "Coast Guard Repellent".

Cap'n Gary
S/V Island Breeze